Can I introduce a gosling to an adult pair, and if so how and at what age?

loopy12

Songster
10 Years
Apr 11, 2009
I had a trio - 1 greyback gander, a greyback goose and a romana goose.
I was hatching some duck eggs two months ago so I put two goose eggs from the girls in with them.
Only one egg made it. Now he's 4 weeks old I'm not sure what route to take with him. This is my first year of having geese. I've integrated ducks and chickens into flocks before - is it similar with geese?

My gander (the gosling's dad) is quite aggressive - which makes me nervous for the gosling.
The gosling's mother was killed a month ago, snatched by something or someone, so I only have the adult pair now.
So should I try to integrate him with the adults?? And if so, how, and at what age?

He currently lives with my Muscovy duckling (they are the same age and completely adore each other, sleep snuggle up necks entwined), and 4 chicks. If I can't integrate him with geese I'm happy for him to live forever with his best mate, the duck, I just need to build him them a new house as he won't fit in his current one when he gets to full size.

I should say the goose and gander are very curious about the gosling. There is a fence between them, but if I have the gosling and duckling out in the garden then the 2 adults camp out all day on the other side of the fence watching them. If the gosling peeps in distress at all they get agitated, particularly the female, and will push at the fence. Is that a good sign, or just natural curiousity?

Thoughts? Advice?

I was hatching some duck eggs two months ago so I put two goose eggs from the girls in with them.
Only one egg made it. Now he's 4 weeks old I'm not sure what route to take with him. This is my first year of having geese. I've integrated ducks and chickens into flocks before - is it similar with geese?

My gander (the gosling's dad) is quite aggressive - which makes me nervous for the gosling.
The gosling's mother was killed a month ago, snatched by something or someone, so I only have the adult pair now.
So should I try to integrate him with the adults?? And if so, how, and at what age?

He currently lives with my Muscovy duckling (they are the same age and completely adore each other, sleep snuggle up necks entwined), and 4 chicks. If I can't integrate him with geese I'm happy for him to live forever with his best mate, the duck, I just need to build him them a new house as he won't fit in his current one when he gets to full size.

I should say the goose and gander are very curious about the gosling. There is a fence between them, but if I have the gosling and duckling out in the garden then the 2 adults camp out all day on the other side of the fence watching them. If the gosling peeps in distress at all they get agitated, particularly the female, and will push at the fence. Is that a good sign, or just natural curiousity?

Thoughts? Advice?
Geese are wonderful parents and readily adopt gosling they didn't hatch. I'd be right there in case of aggression but try the lil one with them on their side of the fence. especially since they already know the gosling and it's duck buddy. they may even adopt the duck. Lets us know what happens if you decide to let them have a go at adoption,.

Just wanted to update, in case anyone ever has the same issue.
It was so nervous to put them together that I continued to keep them separated by a fence. Not much of a fence it turned out as eventually the gosling found a way through it at 5 weeks old. I was relieved and quite charmed to find the two geese simply gave him a gentle nibble on his back as if to say 'what took you so long?', then the three of them walked off together as if they'd raised the gosling themselves. Since then they have been dedicated and adoring of their adopted baby. He has still been sleeping in the run with the chicks and the duck, but the adults camp alongside him even then, on the other side of the fence, guarding him.
My only regret is that I didn't trust them sooner!

Looking forward to hatching more geese next year and letting the adults raise them now :)

Just wanted to update, in case anyone ever has the same issue.
It was so nervous to put them together that I continued to keep them separated by a fence. Not much of a fence it turned out as eventually the gosling found a way through it at 5 weeks old. I was relieved and quite charmed to find the two geese simply gave him a gentle nibble on his back as if to say 'what took you so long?', then the three of them walked off together as if they'd raised the gosling themselves. Since then they have been dedicated and adoring of their adopted baby. He has still been sleeping in the run with the chicks and the duck, but the adults camp alongside him even then, on the other side of the fence, guarding him.
My only regret is that I didn't trust them sooner!

Looking forward to hatching more geese next year and letting the adults raise them now :)
What a sweet story, Congrats that it all worked out so well. Geese are amazing.
love.gif

Thoughts? Advice?
Yea I have the same sorta problem too. I have a gander named [squirt = greylag], 2 ducks [spot, ms Quackers = Cayouga], 1 drake [racecar = Cayouga]. Ms Quackers is having fertilized eggs in one nest… The same nest as spot and they both lay in the nest at the same time which is sorta weird + Squirt is aggressive and I’m not sure how he will accept the ducklings when they hatch? Kill them or don’t care????? 😕

My gander [Embden] was the best papa goose you could ever want he loved every duckling that hatched here and the mamas would go off and let him babysit. Only thing I watched closely was when I brought out treats. Sam would step on anything in his way for a treat. So goslings, duckling, chicks had to be placed in a safe place so he wouldn't step on them.
Not unusual for ducks to share a nest you may have to watch when hatch starts they don't fight over the ducklings. That can cause trampling too.

Back
Top Bottom