Can I make a brooder out of PVC boards?

Gigachad poultry

Rest in peace Eda ~ 2018-2024
Premium Feather Member
Dec 24, 2022
Vicenza IT
I'm thinking about making a larger version of my current double door and I was thinking of using some of the extra space to make 2-3 large brooders and one extra on the bottom fot my tortoise Timo for in the winter. I was wondering if anyone has used PVC boards for making brooders? I think that would allow me to stop any wood mites from becoming a problem, and I will also be able easily clean it. Will this work? Can PVC boards grow mold? I don't think so as I think they are plastic right? People use PVC boards to make bioactive vivariums so I think it would work fine for a brooder and double door. Any help is super appreciated!!!

Also what would the needed thickness be? I'm thinking 4.8mm at the least, but I'm not sure?
I plan on making a wood rim and use PVC boards for the walls but plastic roof panels for top of the double door so light can get in. Is that okay? Or should I use darker ones?

You would still have to use wood for framing to attach the boards to and any "anti-mite" intentions would be moot.

I would just use 1/2" hardware cloth on all walls as ventilation is far more important than getting the brooder spic and span. If these are stand alone units that are not to be housed inside a shed, garage or large coop then you might want two walls on the windward sides to be solid.

The PVC boards are very expensive.

You would still have to use wood for framing to attach the boards to and any "anti-mite" intentions would be moot.

I would just use 1/2" hardware cloth on all walls as ventilation is far more important than getting the brooder spic and span. If these are stand alone units that are not to be housed inside a shed, garage or large coop then you might want two walls on the windward sides to be solid.

The PVC boards are very expensive.
Ok, good to know! I can also thought of using plastic panels that are cheaper, but still very affective. I'm definitely going to use wood for the frame and I will be sure to add ventilation.

I think I'm going to make a quail hutch type design and I will make a area for Timo below it. Although I don't want to use wood I'm going to use some to make the hutch/brooder part but a small fencing for Timo's area!

Back
Top Bottom