Can I put a 4week bantam chick with a 10week?

D4dotty

In the Brooder
Jul 30, 2021
Hello, I'm new here.
I have a mixture of pekin bantams. A trio about 8 months old (fertile cockerel and 2 lovely hens) and 3 hybrids about 16-17weeks old.

We have 1 baby chick 4 weeks old from the mature hens. They are all living in the same coop with daddy too.

Yesterday I was given a beautiful little girl with a crossbeak to adopt. She is 10 weeks old, eats growers pellets and seems fine, but I want to integrate her so she's not lonely.

Would it be best to put one of the 16/17wk.olds with her? Or, could I put the little 4wk old chick in with her?

I want to get the mature trio and the 3 hybrids together soon but can't because of baby chick.

Please tell me your thoughts. 🙏🏼😊

I would say yes, but it requires constant observation on how the others react to the chick. Any sign of aggression the chick has to come out.

Or build a small enclosure inside the coop for it, see but no touch. Double check the enclosure for probabilities or accidents.

I'm doing that with 1 chick from my hatch.
Today I'm going to leave it in the outdoor brooder with my 4 week old chicks. It will be separated from them but the chick will see and hear them when they come in for the night. Don't forget to use common sense in all this. Goodluck.

I would say yes, but it requires constant observation on how the others react to the chick. Any sign of aggression the chick has to come out.

Or build a small enclosure inside the coop for it, see but no touch. Double check the enclosure for probabilities or accidents.

I'm doing that with 1 chick from my hatch.
Today I'm going to leave it in the outdoor brooder with my 4 week old chicks. It will be separated from them but the chick will see and hear them when they come in for the night. Don't forget to use common sense in all this. Goodluck.
Thanks Tonyroo!
Do you think the new 10wk old crossbeak and 4 week old chick OK to live together in a separate run? Away from all the more mature birds?

Thanks Tonyroo!
Do you think the new 10wk old crossbeak and 4 week old chick OK to live together in a separate run? Away from all the more mature birds?
Yes they can, just make sure they get along, which I'm thinking they could.

Here's what I been doing, I let the chick mingle with my 4 week olds and 3 month old.
20210730_123548.jpg
20210730_123554.jpg
20210730_123633.jpg
20210730_123643.jpg

Back
Top Bottom