Can I put incubator eggs that are 4 days out from hatching under a broody hen?

Jingles000

In the Brooder
Apr 29, 2023
Hi,

I have a white leghorn hen that is broody. She has been sitting on eggs for around 4 days now. I have 15 eggs in the incubator that are due to hatch in 4 days.

Could I put these under her to finish them off and remove the other eggs she is sat on?

I read white leghorns make poor mothers, is this true?

Would her and the chicks need to be separated from the flock (it’s 7 hens and a roo)?

If she could raise the chicks it would likely save me some effort, lol.
Thanks in advance

It would be hard to say how she would do.
I have tons of Leghorns and a few do go broody every year. Almost always they just don't stay broody as long as it takes. Only having to set another 4 days would definitely be a bonus for one.
I'd probably seperate but I've had a couple hatch chicks while free ranging in a large group. The few that have have been fierce mothers and had no problem protecting their chicks from others. The problem I've had is they haven't been the best at keeping all the chicks with them while they move about covering a large area.

It would be hard to say how she would do.
I have tons of Leghorns and a few do go broody every year. Almost always they just don't stay broody as long as it takes. Only having to set another 4 days would definitely be a bonus for one.
I'd probably seperate but I've had a couple hatch chicks while free ranging in a large group. The few that have have been fierce mothers and had no problem protecting their chicks from others. The problem I've had is they haven't been the best at keeping all the chicks with them while they move about covering a large area.
Thanks. They are all hatching now so she has managed to stay on them which is good. My preference is to keep her and the chicks with the flock if possible but how do I go about feeding mixed ages?

Thanks. They are all hatching now so she has managed to stay on them which is good. My preference is to keep her and the chicks with the flock if possible but how do I go about feeding mixed ages?
:confused: I would not be the one to ask. Heck I feed my roosters layer feed and none of my chickens have ever gotten a mealworm.

Today is day 21 for eggs and my hen is broody from 3 days shall i put those eggs under her.?

I dont want to take the risk for two eggs which is from my favourite hen who is no longer with us.

Back
Top Bottom