Can I turn my heat lamp off ? 15 day old chicks!

A timer is cheap and simple. Check the time it gets warm enough on a weather app. And switch it off half an hour before it gets around 80F in the coop. Adjust it every day if you’re weather changes a lot.

A schedule in Celcius temps : Normally you use a schedule of 2 degrees lower every week (first week 30 degrees) so that they can go without a lamp for 6 weeks (about 20 degrees, in the summer equal to outside temp.). They need heat 24 hours a day, until a week after they grow feathers.

A group of chicks can warm each other in a mild climate in summer after about 5 - 6 weeks. But 3 chicks is a very small group.
Great suggestion! I just bought one!

I’m in a similar situation. Chicks are almost 2 weeks old. 94 in daytime and 74 at night. I’ve been keeping it on at night but I’m really not sure how much they need it
I'd use the brooder plate and ditch the light completely. At least it gives the chicks the option to have heat if they need it, and to not use it at all if they don't.

Is the garage insulated at all? When it's 100F outside, is it also 100F in the garage or hotter than that? Overheating is an issue for chickens in general.
No not I insulated so yes it gets hot. That’s why I’m so stressed out trying to keep them at the right temperature until they have their feathers and can go out to the coop in the mornings and back in brooder in evening. I brought them in the house today with no heater and they did great . My house stays plenty warm with no ac. we have a heat wave again next week so I’m probably just going to have to bring brooder inside all week while they continue to feather out. There is no way I can decrease the heat while being in the garage and it’s still a little to cool to turn off in the morning. Such a pain! 😩

My brooder was never at the recommended temps. It was always about 75-78 under the lamp. I didn't use a heat lamp, but a reptile lamp. My chicks did fine. But, any time I tested anything (like lamp off), I did it when I could observe them. I agree with the above, if it's going to be 100 outside, how are you regulating the chicks temps inside the garage?
I also took my chicks outside and let them brood outside in an area set up for them when the temps were warm enough and then brought them inside at night.
I guess I’m going to have to start brooding them in the house this next week while we have a heat wave because there is no way to cool it down in the garage. I do put them outside in their coop run when I get home after work and on the weekend. Right now it’s 8:30 no heat lamp on and it’s 90 degrees in my garage. I wonder if I even need to turn it on tonight at all! Ugh this is frustrating!

I guess I’m going to have to start brooding them in the house this next week while we have a heat wave because there is no way to cool it down in the garage. I do put them outside in their coop run when I get home after work and on the weekend. Right now it’s 8:30 no heat lamp on and it’s 90 degrees in my garage. I wonder if I even need to turn it on tonight at all! Ugh this is frustrating!
Yeah. I turned off the heat lamp gradually. But, if its 90 in the garage, I'd say they don't need a heat lamp. I only had 2. They were in a building that has air condition and it remained about 78 or 80 at all times, plus then I had the reptile lamp for them which kept the area directly under it at 78. I didn't have any issues. I moved them back and forth between outdoors and the brooder. We had some cooler days creep in at the high of 72. Again, no issues. Chicks that are brooded by a hen don't stay under mom the whole time, just when they need warmed. I had a plastic dog crate in their outdoor set up and it had a good thick layer of shavings, plus I threw a piece of fleece in there if they needed to snuggle for extra warmth. I didn't have a stuffed animal. 😁 I know they liked the fleece, but I never saw them too chilled. Just happy little chicks.
I would just observe them while they are outdoors when you can and see how they react. It sounds like you might have to provide cooler areas with those temps. Frozen water bottles can work to help provide some outdoor cooled options.
If they still need the brooder, if possible set it up some place where the temp can be more regulated like you suggested, in the house.
In this area, we have Amish. They buy lots of meat birds and egg layers. They don't get the chicks until they can be brooded outside maybe that's the option you go with? I know there are plenty who totally brood outside. I did it without a heat source plugged in - just natural heat. Like I mentioned above.
Whatever you choose, do what works for you while observing the chicks to see how they are acclimating.

Back
Top Bottom