Can i use amprolium to prevent cocidia in laying hens

GrayBlackbird

In the Brooder
Mar 26, 2023
Heres my qu. I'm fixing to buy 25 1yr old birds that have never been outside. Totally barn raised. I am concerned that they may develop cocidia. Can I treat them with corridors (amprolium) to prevent an infection? They are all healthy as far as I know but proba ly have 0 immunity as theyve never been on dirt. I'm not much on medicate for no reason but I also know of they develop cocidia at 1yr+ there survival chances are less then 1 in 12. Any info greatly appreciated

You could feed medicated starter if you're concerned. But I wouldn't spread amprollium around, no. They're likely not as unexposed as you might think.

Yes you can immediately start them on Corid. You may want to think about immediately deworming them also.

You could feed medicated starter if you're concerned. But I wouldn't spread amprollium around, no. They're likely not as unexposed as you might think.
They may not be exposed from where they're coming from, but if you're adding them to an existing flock they may have trouble with the strains of coccidia already on your land.

They may not be exposed from where they're coming from, but if you're adding them to an existing flock they may have trouble with the strains of coccidia already on your land.
Yes that's what I'm worried about my guess is theyll have 0 immunity from my chcikens and whatever strands are on our property. Thank u

That's true, I didn't consider that. I'd still just feed the medicated starter

Heres my qu. I'm fixing to buy 25 1yr old birds that have never been outside. Totally barn raised. I am concerned that they may develop cocidia. Can I treat them with corridors (amprolium) to prevent an infection? They are all healthy as far as I know but proba ly have 0 immunity as theyve never been on dirt. I'm not much on medicate for no reason but I also know of they develop cocidia at 1yr+ there survival chances are less then 1 in 12. Any info greatly appreciated

Hard to know if they will have worms, if they have been in a barn(?) all their lives, possibly.
Are they kept on wire in the barn? Concrete?
Very likely they have been exposed to at least one strain of Coccidia (there are 9 of them) but treating them with the Corid when you get them will not hurt them since they are going to be exposed to different property.

Liquid Corid dose is 2tsp or Powdered Corid Dose is 1 1/2tsp per gallon of water given for 5-7 days as the only source of drinking water.
Do not add any extra vitamins/electrolytes that contain B1(Thiamine) to food or water during the course of treatment.

Back
Top Bottom