Can Molting cause blood in poo?

Tweetledee

Chirping
Jan 3, 2023
South Africa
Not sure if the two are related, but one of my hens is currently molting. She had the normal molting behavior of my bantam that molted for about 3 months. Yesterday I noticed a lot of feathers missing around her neck, but no blood. When I cleaned their trays this morning, I noticed a lot of watery blood (like runny Diarrhea or wee). All my hens seem fine this morning and Im not sure if it was the molting one or not.

I gave them some carramino vitamins yesterday, not sure if I should vaccinate them just in case?

I gave them some carramino vitamins yesterday,
What exactly is this, can you provide a link to the product?
Why did you give it to them?

not sure if I should vaccinate them just in case?
Vaccinate for what?
How old, in months, are these birds?
I think most vaccinations need to be given when the birds are very young.

Vaccinate for what?
Hi, Im in South Africa so we have out own names for stuff I guess 🤪. Carmino (spelt wrong first time) is a natural vitamin and mineral powder for livestock which I got at the feedstore. Cant find a website for them, but package says its a "water soluble preparation consisting of vitamins, lecithin, carnitine and amino acids" and "suitable for cattle, pigs, poultry and sheep"

Ive given it to them before with no prob. Feedstore suggested giving it to them when new chickens are introduced etc to help with stress and general wellbeing. We give it to them about every 2/3 months, more when they look stressed or not their usual chipper selves.

The vaccine, I got when I just got chickens and used it only then but the Feedstore also suggested vaccinating every 6mo to keep bird diseases under control. Its called HIPRAVIAR clon/h120. I bought a second vaccine again as backup, so its in the fridge and havent used it yet. Only the first time I got my girls.

My girls are in their own enclosure and roam around there, but its open and the doves often come steal their food so I do worry of outside contamination from wild birds. Thought of closing up their enclosure, but felt it makes them too restricted. They have another enclosure inside the bigger enclosure with a sealed off run, but they like to scratch around in the open, or at least their own version of open.

Vaccinate for what?
Forgot to add, my girls are 14months and and 12months. It the one 12mo that is molting and I suspect the blood is from her. Although last night, (was the only) night I didn't check their roosting positions before closing their coop, so not 100 sure whose blood it was. Today they have been fine all day, so will see if their is any blood when I clean up tomorrow morning.

Back
Top Bottom