Can not pinpoint the symptoms of my bird, please help with the mystery.

Gategirl5353

Hatching
Jul 20, 2020
Hi Everybody,
Long time reader, first time poster etc...

Reading this you can probably tell I've tried a heap already, no access to a vet for the reason listed below. Any insight you can give me would be amazing. Also, how long can chickens take to recover? I thought that birds were kind of, they're fine and then they just drop and there is nothing you can do. She is still going after three nights though so the will is strong and I'd like to give her every chance I can.

Hoping for some help with my mystery illness, the details are below:

1) What type of bird , age and weight (does the chicken seem or feel lighter or thinner than the others.)
12 Week old ISA brown, she's a bit thinner than her sisters but I think that is due to the mystery illness

2) What is the behavior, exactly.
Lethargy, unable to balance or walk, constant stretching of the neck and opening of the mouth, appetite was initially poor but has improved, legs splaying to the side sometimes, sometimes in the splits,

3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms?
This is night three with these symptoms, seems to be improving re: appetite and thirst,

4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms?
Her two sisters are fine, rooster is also fine

5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma.
No other signs of obvious illness, no physical observable trauma, eyes not grey, no mites around the vent or under wings, no worms inside mouth down throat

6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation.
Went out for my normal morning cuppa with the girls and found her hunched over and separate from the flock in the morning. No change for a few hours so brought inside.

7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all.
Hand feeding a mash of her pullet pellets and chick crumbles mixed with either medicated water (worming initially) and not electrolyte/vitamin water. Droppering in water at regular intervals. Also absolutely attacking the treat scratch she has been given. Also a hard boiled yolk a day. Also tried yoghurt, she wasn't interested.

8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc.
Her dehydrated poo was dark with no white cap, after hand feeding and watering poo went back to normal, was briefly green when worming medication administered but returned to normal white and black poo.

9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far?
Isolated in the guest bathroom shower stall (quiet and dark and easy to clean!)
Worming Medication given, kilverm
Vitamin electrolytes given, avi-vital
gave her a bath with some apple cider vinegar in the rinse

10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet?
So, I've just been tested for COVID, I can't leave here until I get the all clear and the current wait time is four days. I need to treat her here, but I can get a delivery of products from feed stores if you tell me what I can try next.

11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.

12) Describe the housing/bedding in use
Inside I have her on hemp bedding, outside they are in a coop with straw and wood shavings.

Attachments

• IMG_9626.jpg
    IMG_9626.jpg
    24.6 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_9625.jpg
    IMG_9625.jpg
    22.5 KB · Views: 3
How's her crop feel? Is it emptying each morning? Can you see anything in her throat?

Hi! Thank you for answering!

Her crop is emptying ok. It's really not very big as she is eating but not as much as she would if she was happy and healthy.

When I shine the torch down her throat it looks clear, with no obstructions and no worms.

That's part of the mystery for me, does the eye thing always happen in Mareks? Because her eyes are totally fine, maybe if it's Mareks it takes a while for the eyes to go all weird? There are no tumours on her skin.

I am hoping it is the Encephalomyelitis, at least that is recoverable. I'm not too concerned by a drop in egg production. I'd just like her to live.

If it is Botulism, she must have not seated very much of whatever it was as she hasn't suddenly died. I haven't flushed her crop yet and it's been three days so should I try flushing her crop or would that not do any good now.

Very reassuring to know that worming and giving vitamins are logical first steps to take so thankyou.

It is winter over here in Australia if that helps. The pen has no puddles or anything though and the coop is dry and ventilated.

That's part of the mystery for me, does the eye thing always happen in Mareks? Because her eyes are totally fine, maybe if it's Mareks it takes a while for the eyes to go all weird? There are no tumours on her skin.

I am hoping it is the Encephalomyelitis, at least that is recoverable. I'm not too concerned by a drop in egg production. I'd just like her to live.

If it is Botulism, she must have not seated very much of whatever it was as she hasn't suddenly died. I haven't flushed her crop yet and it's been three days so should I try flushing her crop or would that not do any good now.

Very reassuring to know that worming and giving vitamins are logical first steps to take so thankyou.

It is winter over here in Australia if that helps. The pen has no puddles or anything though and the coop is dry and ventilated.
I'm honestly not sure. I haven't had experience with it. I'd be tempted to give antibiotics just to cover your bases. I'm not sure what you have available in Australia. Hopefully someone else will chime in with a better idea.

I'm honestly not sure. I haven't had experience with it. I'd be tempted to give antibiotics just to cover your bases. I'm not sure what you have available in Australia. Hopefully someone else will chime in with a better idea.

Thank you for going through it with me, I really appreciate the ear! I'm a bit stuck at home at the moment so talking through this with someone is great.

Back
Top Bottom