Can to High Calcium Feed Make hatching Hard?

americanchicks

Songster
11 Years
Jun 26, 2012
Buckley, Wa
Hi all! Just hatched a batch of welsh harlequins. I did loose a few ducklings however. Cracking open the unhatched they died at the same point all internally pipped absorbed most of the yolk. Not too wet not sticky just dead. There was no external pip but before I locked down I could hear them scrapping. Do you think maybe they couldn't externally pip in time because the shells where to hard so they ran out of air?

I had 4 more eggs in another incubator. With those 3 of them I poked a small hole in the large end of the egg one I didn't. I read once it can help with breathing. 3 hatched the unpoked didn't. Same thing, duckling looked perfect but no external pip.

I have been feeding the parent ducks different this year. Last year it was a mix of duck and all flock. Due to crazy feed prices I have been feeding them a mix of game bird and generic layer with the occasional duck feed. It's the same thing I have been feeding my turkeys which i didn't have last year.

I got a bag if duck yesterday and I'm just going to feed them that while collecting eggs. See if it makes a difference in hatching because I have to fill the incubators again. I have a waiting list for those who want ducklings.

Back
Top Bottom