Can two rabbit Bucks live in peace?

Oncoming Storm

Crowing
Jun 3, 2019
So kinda random. I have one bun and my trainer just got 26 rabbits. Twenty six. I had an idea if I bought one could it stay with my bun. He’s not fixed so I couldn’t get a female. But if I got another buck, would they be okay since there aren’t any females around? Or would they still go at each other?

So kinda random. I have one bun and my trainer just got 26 rabbits. Twenty six. I had an idea if I bought one could it stay with my bun. He’s not fixed so I couldn’t get a female. But if I got another buck, would they be okay since there aren’t any females around? Or would they still go at each other?
I had two male rabbits in one cage and they were fine.

First of all, rabbits are not really all that social. Secondly,as for housing the two bucks together, as Bunnylady has said, two or more rabbits can get along just fine. Until they don't. Then it can get pretty bloody.
I’m aware. My boy is missing a couple toes from when he was at the breeder. His ears are pretty banged up too. I was just wondering if I were to get another if it would be possible.

They can get along just fine until they don't. Then you'll have to have separate housing.
Having a large space such as a playpen for an enclouser will help (not only so they'll get along better but so they can have space to exercise and play).
I really recommend getting them fixed though. This will help improve litter habbits too.
If you can find a spay and neuter clinic you could get them both fixed for a lot cheaper than at a regular vet that sees rabbits.
I know you are wanting to get one of your trainers buns but rescues will have bunnies that have already been fixed and they can help you find the right bunny then bond the two of them.

Rabbits can really only be bonded once they've been fixed. Though they can get along without being fixed it is best to do that.

If that is not an option I would at least keep them in a large enclosure like a dog playpen.

I would be worried about introducing another buck to a intact buck, as others are saying it might work it might not.

Heres a story about my experience with a pair of “bonded” rabbits
I got two 5 year old does because their owner died, they had to go together because they had all was lived together. they where all was on opposite sides of the cage, if one went to the same side as the other, the other would move to the opposite side. 6 months later one of them died at 6 years old, I expect to have a sad depressed rabbit because its friend died, nope she was suddenly active and happy, she was the most active I had ever see her. She died 1 month later. It makes me so sad to think that her happiest moments was when her “friend” had died, She had been kept with that “friend“ since she was born. Not all rabbits like company of other rabbits, they can be happy on their own, but some rabbits do, I have a pair of sisters who are all most all was together.

Putting an unfamiliar male rabbit into territory already owned by an intact adult male is usually a recipe for disaster. Males can be very territorial, especially when it comes to rival males.

However. If the established rabbit is a very laid-back, non-assertive individual, and the new rabbit is the same, and introductions are handled very carefully, it might work. Generally, this sort of thing is done when both are very young.

Any time you have more than one rabbit living in the same space, one is going to be the dominant animal. As long as the dominant one isn't too obnoxious about it, and the subordinate is content with being subordinate, things can work, but sharing space with a rabbit with a strong alpha personality can be a living hell (even if they aren't the same gender). Rabbits are individuals, some just never get along with any other rabbits; any person that wants to keep more than one needs to be prepared for the fact that they may need separate quarters at some point.

Back
Top Bottom