Can your quail drink from horizontal nipples?

I went out to lower it, I took the tarp off, lowered the bottle down, and I saw Little Red come drink, and he was the same one I saw trying to drink before, so at least he gets it. I showed 2 others how to again.

I opened the roof of the house, and I was pouring more food into their pvc feeder extension, and the sky literally opened up and started soaking me, the quail all ran in and were shocked that it was raining indoors, and they all crammed into the big plastic nest bin haha.

I had wondered if they were using it because I only added it yesterday, and it is up in the nest box of the coop so I put a brick for them to get up, and yes, every one of them got up and in :)
Unfortunately, now they can just drink water off of any surface from the rain and aren’t motivated to try the nipples, oh well.

I went out to lower it, I took the tarp off, lowered the bottle down, and I saw Little Red come drink, and he was the same one I saw trying to drink before, so at least he gets it. I showed 2 others how to again.

I opened the roof of the house, and I was pouring more food into their pvc feeder extension, and the sky literally opened up and started soaking me, the quail all ran in and were shocked that it was raining indoors, and they all crammed into the big plastic nest bin haha.

I had wondered if they were using it because I only added it yesterday, and it is up in the nest box of the coop so I put a brick for them to get up, and yes, every one of them got up and in :)
Unfortunately, now they can just drink water off of any surface from the rain and aren’t motivated to try the nipples, oh well.
Once one figures it out, the others will see it and figure it out too. You shouldn't need to do anything more but watch.

I would lower the jug where they could access the water from the ground and let them get used to it down there first. The horizontal nipples have a very tiny "bowl" that will hold a couple droplets of water. Once the quail realize there's water there they try and drink from it which bumps the nipple and let's a little more water out. As seen in this video...

If the nipples are lower, around chest height they will see the water I think. I would also remove the other waterer, and place each quails beak in the water under the nipple. They will figure it out, especially if they don't have to climb on top of bricks first. Once they figure it out then I would move it up there where they have to climb on the brick if you want to.... but I think I would just leave it at ground level.
Thanks for the video. I’m switching to a nipple waterer and have had the same concerns.

All I had to do was to tap each one so it left a drop of water on it. The birds did the rest.

Glad you got it figured out. The nipples are so much easier and cleaner than the other options.

Back
Top Bottom