Canada goose legality

rawrmonsterbg

In the Brooder
6 Years
Jun 27, 2013
I live in the states and adopted a baby goose when his parents were no where to be found..I suspected he may be orphaned or lost. But with the flock of geese around constantly pecking him, I didn't want to leave him by himself. He was only a couple days old when I adopted him and he's been with us for about a month now. I have no intentions of selling or trading him or his parts. I also suspect he's a residential goose. We have several flocks that stay in this area year round. I hear that many states require a permit, but if they find out he was born in the wild they may take him and euthanize him. He (or she) is part of our family and cannot bear to be separated from me. He screams if I'm not in sight and follows me around the place. The last thing I want is for him to be taken away and killed. He was raised by people and is so loving. None of the geese from the residential flocks have ever attacked me or others here either, not even during nesting. So as far as Canada geese go, I believe he comes from some of the friendliest. Advice on how to be able to keep him?

He's my snuggle bug...

I live in the states and adopted a baby goose when his parents were no where to be found..I suspected he may be orphaned or lost. But with the flock of geese around constantly pecking him, I didn't want to leave him by himself. He was only a couple days old when I adopted him and he's been with us for about a month now. I have no intentions of selling or trading him or his parts. I also suspect he's a residential goose. We have several flocks that stay in this area year round. I hear that many states require a permit, but if they find out he was born in the wild they may take him and euthanize him. He (or she) is part of our family and cannot bear to be separated from me. He screams if I'm not in sight and follows me around the place. The last thing I want is for him to be taken away and killed. He was raised by people and is so loving. None of the geese from the residential flocks have ever attacked me or others here either, not even during nesting. So as far as Canada geese go, I believe he comes from some of the friendliest. Advice on how to be able to keep him?

He's my snuggle bug...
Keep it quiet and let him decides if he wants to stay or leave when migration starts, most likely your gosling will decide to stay. Also check into what it takes to have a permit to keep it.

The permit takes at least 6 months. And I'll be moving across the country within that time... So I don't know what to do.

It is against the law to keep it. I found that out after hatching a goose egg. We had her for two years but after the first year she was no longer kept locked up, she was free to come and go. If you are moving across the country then I think it would be twice as illegal if that's possible. I am a rehabilitator in NW MS permitted thru the state and have 4 canada goslings that are 9 weeks old. Try to find a wildlife rehabilitator in your area that will take it. Your gosling deserves to fly free.

It is against the law to keep it. I found that out after hatching a goose egg. We had her for two years but after the first year she was no longer kept locked up, she was free to come and go. If you are moving across the country then I think it would be twice as illegal if that's possible. I am a rehabilitator in NW MS permitted thru the state and have 4 canada goslings that are 9 weeks old. Try to find a wildlife rehabilitator in your area that will take it. Your gosling deserves to fly free.
What will happen to these gosling SP will you release them into the wild at some point?

Is it possible to introduce him slowly into a flock at an older age? otherwise it looks like your only choice is to find a wildlife rehabilitor as Southern Pride says.

We were going to wait until his feathers are fully in and try releasing him at the lake here with the flock of resident canada geese that hang out year round. He would only be comingwith us if he wasnt matured enough. As of right now, it looks likely he will have time to grow before we move. Hopefully the flock will accept him.

Back
Top Bottom