Canada Goose nest flooded

DucksGeeseHeart

Chirping
Jul 27, 2021
Goose nest on our property was flooded last night. I've managed to fish four eggs out of the water. They looked to be partially dry when I first looked out at them. When I went over it seemed some had gone into the water. So not sure how long the under-water ones were that way.

I moved all four eggs higher up on the same hill, surrounded them with moist vegetation and nesting material from another goose who lost her eggs. When the mom made no move to even walk up to them, I later placed a hot water bottle (partially filled, not too hot) on top of them. The water they'd been in was ~40 degrees - maybe warmer but the air was about 40 - and they felt cold when I retrieved them.

I did search and found earlier threads 2012, 2015 about this happening and learned some things, but wanted to post again anyway. One person back then thought the goose would find the eggs and sit on them. This pair seems not to be able to recognize the eggs in the new location. As if in their mind the eggs are tied to the exact nest location. (now under water). The new location is not far, but several feet higher. They were both there when I moved them. A couple hours later they were (somewhat nonchalantly) grooming themselves on far side of pond across from the nest.

Is there any way I can help these eggs? Bring them inside and try to incubate them? I read they need to be turned every so often. I could order an incubator? Assuming the mom does not go to them at all today.

Or are they automatically goners for having been in the water.

Last edited:
Goose nest on our property was flooded last night. I've managed to fish four eggs out of the water. They looked to be partially dry when I first looked out at them. When I went over it seemed some had gone into the water. So not sure how long the under-water ones were that way.

I moved all four eggs higher up on the same hill, surrounded them with moist vegetation and nesting material from another goose who lost her eggs. When the mom made no move to even walk up to them, I later placed a hot water bottle (partially filled, not too hot) on top of them. The water they'd been in was ~40 degrees - maybe warmer but the air was about 40 - and they felt cold when I retrieved them.

I did search and found earlier threads 2012, 2015 about this happening and learned some things, but wanted to post again anyway. One person back then thought the goose would find the eggs and sit on them. This pair seems not to be able to recognize the eggs in the new location. As if in their mind the eggs are tied to the exact nest location. (not under water). The new location is not far, but several feet higher. They were both there when I moved them. A couple hours later they were (somewhat nonchalantly) grooming themselves on far side of pond across from the nest.

Is there any way I can help these eggs? Bring them inside and try to incubate them. I read they need to be turned every so often. I could order an incubator? Assuming the mom does not go to them at all today.

Or are they automatically goners for having been in the water.
So I would recommend ordering an incubator. The parents usually never comeback when attacked or nest is disturbed. I would recommend looking on Amazon for the little giant incubator or the nurture right 360 incubator. Make sure you also get the right size egg turner. Update when you make your decision.

the little giant incubator or the nurture right 360 incubator
Thanks for your reply and info M&Q!

But both these incubators look like their sized for chicken/pheasant/quail/duck eggs? These goose eggs are 3 to 4 times bigger. I'm going to search for goose egg incubator.

Last edited:
Thanks for your reply and info M&Q!

But both these incubators look like their sized for chicken/pheasant/quail/duck eggs? These goose eggs are 3 to 4 times bigger. I'm going to search for goose egg incubator.
Yes they are, but also later in the statement I said that you could get the goose sized egg turner. You can find it on Amazon if you search "nurture right 360 goose egg turner." The nurture right 360 company creates different sizes for the egg turner. I personally have the quail chicken and duck turner and they all work great! I have incubated geese before but got rid of that egg turner but pretty sure I had good success with it.

Canada goose eggs are federally protected and illegal to be in possession of.
However... you could see if an animal rescue or rehab facility would take them.

Try candling them in a dark room to see if they're still alive or developing.

The Nurture Right 360 is the best smaller incubator in my opinion out of all of them. I even like it better than my two Brinseas. If they're still alive upon candling, I would go to TSC and buy one. For goose eggs just don't use the turner. I never use the turner because I feel like it's a bit too jarring on my small duck eggs, I hand turn five times a day. Though you could get by with three times daily.

Yes they are, but also later in the statement I said that you could get the goose sized egg turner. You can find it on Amazon if you search "nurture right 360 goose egg turner." The nurture right 360 company creates different sizes for the egg turner. I personally have the quail chicken and duck turner and they all work great! I have incubated geese before but got rid of that egg turner but pretty sure I had good success with it.
OK, yes . . . I did see the goose-sized turner that fits into the Nurture Right.

I'm not sure, now, it would be a good idea to bring them in. If they do manage to hatch, will I be able to give them back to the parents? Or will the hatchlings want to follow me all around?
I don't actually own the property, they're on shared property belonging to apartment complex. So not like I have a back yard to keep them in.

Yes they are, but also later in the statement I said that you could get the goose sized egg turner. You can find it on Amazon if you search "nurture right 360 goose egg turner." The nurture right 360 company creates different sizes for the egg turner. I personally have the quail chicken and duck turner and they all work great!

OK, yes . . . I did see the goose-sized turner that fits into the Nurture Right.

I'm not sure, now, it would be a good idea to bring them in. If they do manage to hatch, will I be able to give them back to the parents? Or will the hatchlings want to follow me all around?
I don't actually own the property, they're on shared property belonging to apartment complex. So not like I have a back yard to keep them in.
Well they will imprint on you and the parents will not except them as there own so its either you raise them or you have to leave the eggs. It will be a tough decision but it is all up to you.

Back
Top Bottom