CANADA- Where are you having your flock testing done?

Rooka_2

Songster
Apr 18, 2021
Hey!

I've started selling chicks quite consistently, im actually at the point of having a wait list. I work with Silkies mainly but I will soon be offering up Orpingtons.

You see so much about flock testing for different diseases in the US. But here in Canada (Alberta to be exact) I'm having a very hard time finding a place and really understanding what all I should be testing for? I don't think this is actually a big thing here which isn't surprising to me as my own vet recommends "just deworming my goats twice a year" and not even doing a fecal test. I've only been a hobby farmer for two years now, but I can see we are very behind the times when it comes to farm testing.
If you're in Canada, where do you send your samples and what do you test for to assure to your customers you're an ethical breeder and care about biosecurity measurements for their flock as much as you do yours?

You may try asking in the Canada thread.

In the U.S., yes, there's NPIP testing, but every single state is different as far as what the testing is good for. Like for me in Wisconsin, I can ship hatching eggs and sell chicks with nothing. The only thing the NPIP certification is for is if I'm going to show my birds. I really wish they'd get a national standard across the board.

Back
Top Bottom