Candling eggs question

dixiegal62

Chirping
7 Years
Mar 11, 2012
Arab Alabama
I made a egg candle with a toilet paper roll and flash light and it seems to work well enough. I was playing with it with some eggs to see if I could spot cracks, etc. and noticed some of the eggs I candled you could see the yoke floating around but not in others. Does that mean anything or is it normal?

You may notice the yolk more in older eggs, but it is not uncommon to not see the yolk in fresh eggs unless you look very carefully and spin the egg. The older an egg is, the larger the yolk appears is as it gets looser. This is why a store bought egg will run quicker in a skillet than a farm fresh egg.

So I have a question about this, I have some silkie eggs that I put in last Monday and I candled a few last night just to see. I could see the air space (some larger than others) and what appeared to be the yolk, but the dark part didn't move around, it stayed in one place. Is this a good sign?

I am still perfecting my candling, but what I do is wait until day 10, then when you candle you will see veins and sometimes movement and there is no doubt about your eggs being fertile.

Thanks, I am patiently waiting until Monday night! lol

Happy Easter!
jumpy.gif

Back
Top Bottom