Canning turkey

Bckgmlady

Hatching
Nov 13, 2023
My husband processed 2 Tom's thus morning and have been on ice bath. I was wonderin
g if I could go ahead and cook them low and slow all night and clean the meat off tmrw to be canned. I don't think rigor will be out yet tonight but wanted to cook them. With the meat be tender or tough?

My husband processed 2 Tom's thus morning and have been on ice bath. I was wonderin
g if I could go ahead and cook them low and slow all night and clean the meat off tmrw to be canned. I don't think rigor will be out yet tonight but wanted to cook them. With the meat be tender or tough?
Cooking anything all night would most likely make it tender. My sister breasts out turkeys when they have to cull hundreds so we don't have a lot of time. We put them in the fridge overnight and the next day cook them and can. We've never had issues but there is nothing wrong with doing it your way.

She doesn't even fully cook hers before canning it and said they finish cooking in the jar. I can't bring myself to do that.

If you look at the Ball Blue Book, there may be a recipe for canned turkey, going from raw to canned, without cooking first. I know there is for chicken. I did chicken breasts and thighs, raw from the store (I didn't raise meat birds then) and straight into the pressure canner. Worked great, and made the best canned chicken I'd ever eaten. With or without bones works. I prefer without cause I don't want to pick out the bones - they're in pieces and it's a pain in the neck. For turkey, as long as the meat is the thickness of commercial chicken breasts, should can the same. I think the recipe may have been for any type of poultry.

Back
Top Bottom