Caponizing inhumane to save my roo?

Sherri68

In the Brooder
Jul 22, 2019
Hello not getting much response to my post in rehoming and I do need some input about caponizing. I have an Americana or shall I say I had rehomed him a week or so ago and the lady is wanting to return him because she says he is being too aggressive he wasn't with me but then again I raised him from a chick with five other hens. I cannot keep him he wasn't supposed to be a rooster but I don't know that I can rehome him because of the aggression so what else is left soup or caponizing to see if I can calm him to get adopted ...if I don't then he might very well get a shovel over his head at the wrong home if he acts out :( I don't want that.

I need some input please this is serious for me ...I'm really stuck in a hard spot right. Since he left and actually even before my four other hens stopped laying eggs I figured it is because one too many treats or they simply are stressed because of all the flock changes I had two that passed and I rehomed the rooster my two that passed one ate a plant and the other was got a brochitis not IB....so anyway, I need some help here please ..I take very good care of these little creatures and I would like to see him go to a good home and get my girls back on track. I live in the Tri-Valley area ...Livermore, Dublin ..I will go further out I need someone who is qualified and please don't give me a hard time cause I literally cannot come up with any other solutions...who will want a feisty rooster..I think he simply is boycotting and does not want to be rehomed....maybe we should rehome my neighbor who is complaining hmmph

Since caponizing needs to be done when they are young, and not all survive it, and it's generally done without any anesthetic, I personally think it's better to butcher an aggressive rooster.

Another option is to pen him separately next to the hens. He will be fine like that.

Since caponizing needs to be done when they are young, and not all survive it, and it's generally done without any anesthetic, I personally think it's better to butcher an aggressive rooster.

Another option is to pen him separately next to the hens. He will be fine like that.

ugh! She says he was aggressive but also chased him with a rake ..he's one is that generally too old for this procedure and I would not do it if it did not include sedation of some sort no thank you. I'm really in a pickle trying to save this guy.

I don't know if it helps or not, but it might be worth contacting the bird division of the UC Davis Veterinarian School. If they don't do the operation there, there is a bird hospital somewhere not far from East Bay but I can't remember the name of it, Concord maybe? Worth a phone call or two!

Back
Top Bottom