Cochintrice

In the Brooder
Mar 5, 2021
I have a single bird, a 9 month old cochin hen named Big Juicy. BJ is a house chicken and in a spot of trouble. I am getting her the best care I can and we're currently awaiting a date for surgery, and I have some instructions from the vet for care in the meantime, but I'm grateful for any tips on keeping her hydrated or if anyone has post-op advice for keeping her cozy at home. The more prepared I can be in advance the better!

The problems found:
  • Ate multiple metal objects, including an entire screw and what might be some wires.
  • Bloodwork seemed anemic which is a sign of heavy metal toxicity.
  • Heightened white blood cell count so infection, possibly from perforation, is suspected.
20230117_014129.jpg
20230117_014052.jpg

BJ's second round of xrays

Additionally ruled out by multiple vets:
  • Ascites (my original fear)
  • Peritonitis
  • Calcium deficiency
  • Cancer
  • Sour crop
  • Full blockage of digestive tract
  • Worms
  • Coccidia
Can't be ruled out entirely yet:
  • Partial blockage of digestive tract
  • Kidney distress
Current treatments:
  • Twice daily intramuscular injections for binding heavy metals for 4 days, then a few days off, and repeat.
  • Antibiotics to deal with the infection. Twice daily, a couple weeks of doses.
  • Every few days she is going in for subcutaneous fluids because her injections are hard on her kidneys.
Upcoming treatment:
  • The current hope is the metal can be removed via endoscope. They need to locate and borrow a scope of the correct diameter and length.
  • Failing that or if they still can't remove it that way they're unfortunately going to have to open her all the way up. I asked if it would be a small incision but they warned me it'd be a significant opening.
The story:
We moved in October to a pretty old house. Shortly after BJ developed an obsession with picking at wall and floor fixtures. We weren't sure why she was so convinced it must be food, but we chicken-proofed what we could as a precaution and eventually when the outlets and air vents weren't feeding her treats she slowly lost interest. Fast forward to just over a week ago. BJ had wet poops on and off since we moved but nothing alarming beyond being a bit gross. All of a sudden I was finding wet splats on the floor that had to be coming from either her crop or somehow clearing her diaper entirely. I found one or two of these a day for a few days but nothing else was odd so I kept a close eye on her. One morning she was breathing a bit hard and had decreased energy and a paler comb. So I made an emergency vet visit fearing ascites. She's very young for such a thing but I've encountered worse in younger hens. We got her in quickly.
20230111_090317.jpg
Her fecal was clear and she checked out well enough that we decided to do xrays, only to find she had a tummy full of metal! Considering her behavior that suggested she learned parts of the wall or floor might become food if she snags it hard enough it might have even been there since October.

After getting some subcu fluids to help her deal with the strain her kidneys might be under we were referred to a university vet several hours away to see about surgery for getting that metal out and supportive care in the meantime. They held on to her for several hours and ran a variety of blood tests, did more xrays, etc. On this second round of xrays they found a bit of fluid unlike the first ones from just the day before. Combined with her blood panel results there was a worry of infection, maybe even from a puncture. They gave us the injections and antibiotics along with a recommendation to get her subcu fluids every couple days

She is on her rest days from the injections right now and we still don't have a surgery date. I'll be pestering the vet in the morning. We're going to the closer one to get fluids and a check up done first thing as well.

So yeah! If anyone has been through something similar and has some things they wish they'd known and could share I'd be extremely grateful to hear it.

BJ is a cutie. You are doing everything you can and I hope she makes it. Chickens will eat everything... I know I've had some scares with my girls digging up old nails in the yard. If they hadn't been two inches long I'm sure someone would have swallowed one.

Really hoping for the best 🤞

BJ took a turn for the worst on Tuesday. We rushed her back in and she stayed overnight so they could give her care and do tests to make sure we weren't dealing with organ failure or anything.

She went in for her procedure today, and after just over an hour and a half under anesthesia she was metal free! Between a gastric lavage and the endoscope they even got out the little wires. Her kidneys and liver are ok on her blood panels. She is staying one more night then coming home tomorrow! So luckily I don't need to worry about post-op care for exploratory surgery.

If you are someone seeing this thread in the future, this isn't something that can generally be treated at home. Prescribed supportive care can float you for awhile but the metal ultimately needs to be removed. It isn't cheap but it is necessary. They can survive some incredible things but can also be shockingly delicate. So if you were wanting some sort of urgency or permission to make that appointment: Get your chicken to a vet ASAP if you fear they have a blockage or have eaten something with a zinc coating, lead, or anything that can cause perforation!

So yes! Happy ending to this story :celebrate

Back
Top Bottom