Cedar Roof Okay?

QuackerOats

Songster
9 Years
Apr 8, 2010
I went to Home Depot today and bought the roof for my coop. The roof will be wooden shingles, like this -

http://www.google.com/images?hl=en&...+shingles&gbv=2&aq=f&aqi=g1&aql=&oq=&gs_rfai=

Only problem - They're CEDAR!!!!
barnie.gif
barnie.gif

I've heard that cedar is bad for the chickens respiratory system. However, if it will only be on the roof which will be about 6 feet above the chickens,,... maybe this will be okay? They won't be able to ever peck at it.

Any thoughts? Thanks!

I think my chickens can handle it - but I'm sure yours can't - I can take those off your hands....
lol.png

Seriously though - it's fine. Cedar on the roof won't hurt your chickens.

If the rest isn't cedar and there's good ventilation, I would think you'd be okay, but that's a guess. I think as it dries you'll lose the cedar smell. I know when I put up (women rule) our new cedar fence it REALLY smelled of cedar. About 2 weeks or so later, mostly gone....

when you apply cedar shake to plywood, you should apply a breather mat between them. Either that or use 1x3 with a 2'1/2 inch space between them. Your first run with the 1x3 should be doubled. Then use a 1x3 as a spacer, & nail them to the rafters. You can over run them. Then snap a chalk line & cut them in place with a circular saw. Leave 6 inches of overhang. Then nail the shingles with splitless siding nails(ring shank). Good luck with your new roof.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom