Celadon Cortunix Quail LOTD of Deformities

Crzychnkldy

Hatching
Apr 14, 2022
I ordered 54 celadon quail hatching eggs. Of those only 25 were even fertile and 2 quitters. I had 23 hatch. It was traumatizing for me. I've hatched lots of chickens and did hatch regular cortunix quail just before and they were fine. (Not shipped) Anyways they had 1 with a leg on backwards & clubbed foot, 1 with red eyes, 2 born small and weak so they died within an hour,1 with bugged out eyes, 1 born with brain on the outside. Those that seemed healthy I've lost in the following days. I have 11 left. I did all the same things as before. Did shipping cause this? Is inbreeding a thing with quail when trying to get the celadon gene as the person said they were on their 9th generation. They offered to send 54 replacement eggs but now I'm nervous.

I'm not sure who do move this but there are people on the quail forum that would be able to answer your questions. 9 generations with the same blood lines sounds like a problem to me but I'm not an expert on genetics.

It could be bad genetics. If it were just curled toes, I would say that your humidity was too high, but the deformities that you're mentioning would be genetic, in my opinion. They are probably too inbred.

If you want to keep trying to celadon, keep the healthy ones that you have, and get some eggs from a different breeder to bring in some new genes.

The ideal humidity for coturnix seems to be about 30% during incubation, and up to about 50-60% at lockdown.

I ordered 54 celadon quail hatching eggs. Of those only 25 were even fertile and 2 quitters. I had 23 hatch. It was traumatizing for me. I've hatched lots of chickens and did hatch regular cortunix quail just before and they were fine. (Not shipped) Anyways they had 1 with a leg on backwards & clubbed foot, 1 with red eyes, 2 born small and weak so they died within an hour,1 with bugged out eyes, 1 born with brain on the outside. Those that seemed healthy I've lost in the following days. I have 11 left. I did all the same things as before. Did shipping cause this? Is inbreeding a thing with quail when trying to get the celadon gene as the person said they were on their 9th generation. They offered to send 54 replacement eggs but now I'm nervous.
I just hatched an order of blue celadon eggs…14 out of 18 hatched. Three have died, and two of the remaining have a weird bent neck-not like it’s broken, but it’s always looking to the right and has a lump in its shoulder/back. Eats and drinks fine. But odd. Is there another forum here discussing deformities in Celadons?

Back
Top Bottom