Change in Egg color

Sunshade82

Songster
Sep 10, 2020
SW Utah
Hi all, my 21 week old Austra white JUST started laying (yay!) I expected her eggs to be off-white so I wasn’t surprised to see her first egg was a light cream colored. The 2nd egg though...it’s tan/light brown? If I hadn’t been waiting for her to be done in the nesting box, I wouldn’t have believed it was hers.
She is my only white(ish) egg layer. Will she eventually start laying white/cream eggs again? Or Is it more likely for them to stay this darker color?
A7C023B7-A755-4465-8B1B-BECECC6B066D.jpeg

I have some newer pullets that think they are going to lay an egg and sit in the nesting box with an egg already in the box. And then they hop out because they weren't ready to lay the egg, and they will return later to lay an egg. I have EE's and the egg color they lay is normally the color they will always lay, this helps me keep track of who is laying.
I have no idea if your light brown egg will go back to the light cream. Both colors are beautiful!

Hi all, my 21 week old Austra white JUST started laying (yay!) I expected her eggs to be off-white so I wasn’t surprised to see her first egg was a light cream colored. The 2nd egg though...it’s tan/light brown? If I hadn’t been waiting for her to be done in the nesting box, I wouldn’t have believed it was hers.
She is my only white(ish) egg layer. Will she eventually start laying white/cream eggs again? Or Is it more likely for them to stay this darker color?
Did you see her lay both eggs...with no other eggs in the nest?
Do you have other birds that same age?
Due to the shape(and color) I would guess that those two eggs came from two different birds.

Here's good way to tell......
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/who-is-laying-and-who-is-not-butt-check.73309/

Did you see her lay both eggs...with no other eggs in the nest?
Do you have other birds that same age?
Due to the shape(and color) I would guess that those two eggs came from two different birds.

Here's good way to tell......
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/who-is-laying-and-who-is-not-butt-check.73309/
I didn’t actually watch her lay it but she came into the nesting box while I was cleaning it so I closed the coop door and left (everyone else was in the run). Once I saw her go back to the run I sent my daughter out to collect. There’s always a chance someone else went in during that time but I only have one other layer and her eggs are large and darker brown. I have one other pullet who is starting to do the submissive squat but hers should be like her twins...large and dark brown.
The size and shape are more similar than the pic shows...especially compared to the other eggs. I was hoping it was just a glitch in the printer. 🤷🏻‍♀️ I haven’t checked their butts yet 😂 if it remains a mystery maybe I’ll go there

I have some newer pullets that think they are going to lay an egg and sit in the nesting box with an egg already in the box. And then they hop out because they weren't ready to lay the egg, and they will return later to lay an egg. I have EE's and the egg color they lay is normally the color they will always lay, this helps me keep track of who is laying.
I have no idea if your light brown egg will go back to the light cream. Both colors are beautiful!
If I hadn’t checked right before and after she went in the nesting box, I would be doubting myself more if it was hers. I also only have one other layer, a Golden Buff...her eggs are WAY different. There’s always a chance another one went and laid for the first time. The only one showing signs of laying is another Golden Buff. I assumed hers would be like her the other GB?

Both eggs are pretty...but that pearl color from the first egg was lovely 😍

My Austra White laid another egg so I put it by the first two...and the second one had lightened...almost as light as the first egg? Is that weird?
Well the third one came out a tad darker...although maybe it will lighten as it sits. idk what’s going on but it sure is interesting.
622A6C6B-CF40-4384-8611-0DF8430CB26F.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom