Changing mean girl's behaviour

JoJoM

Songster
Jan 24, 2021
Eastern Ontario, Canada
A little background: I have a flock of 11 one year old chickens and 10 one year old ducks. They have separate coops and they tolerate each other. We have a big pond, they all free range but are able to keep their distance. I recently hatched 5 goslings and they are now 6 weeks old. They also have their own sleeping space. Now to the issue...

The chickens attacked one of the goslings the other day. She got separated from the others and a few chickens jumped her and were attacking her. It was awful, thankfully I was there. That gosling has since cut her foot quite badly so we have her in a safe space and bring her out when we're there to supervise so she can have a swim. Last night, the mean girls tackled her again. I had read you can take the mean chickens and put them in the penalty box for a few days to isolate them so that they possible lose their standing in the flock? Are they doing this because they know she's weak? I'm hoping once the gosling (Lola) is healed, we can allow her to free range with the others but I worry they will continue to harass her. I also have some 5 week old chicks in the coop (separated but visible to the others) and worried she might attack them too. The main mean girl is Karen, or F$king Karen as she is normally referred to.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Your chickens with the leadership of Karen are practicing their pecking order activities. You will encounter similar when the 5 week old chicks get introduced to the rest of chicken flock.
It was not only Karen,,, but the whole gang that jumped in. You can try and file her top beak portion, or clip it some so it is not as sharp. That is done to roosters that are raised for eventual meat consumption, but don't want fatalities before butch gets to them.
Never clip the bottom beak portion. Chicken would not be able to drink water. :(
If you isolate Karen for lets say 2 week, and then reintroduce her,,, If she is tough and healthy, and strong,,,,, she will surface at the top in no time.
Hoping for your goslings to grow quickly. :hugs

WISHING YOU BEST,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,:highfive:

A little background: I have a flock of 11 one year old chickens and 10 one year old ducks. They have separate coops and they tolerate each other. We have a big pond, they all free range but are able to keep their distance. I recently hatched 5 goslings and they are now 6 weeks old. They also have their own sleeping space. Now to the issue...

The chickens attacked one of the goslings the other day. She got separated from the others and a few chickens jumped her and were attacking her. It was awful, thankfully I was there. That gosling has since cut her foot quite badly so we have her in a safe space and bring her out when we're there to supervise so she can have a swim. Last night, the mean girls tackled her again. I had read you can take the mean chickens and put them in the penalty box for a few days to isolate them so that they possible lose their standing in the flock? Are they doing this because they know she's weak? I'm hoping once the gosling (Lola) is healed, we can allow her to free range with the others but I worry they will continue to harass her. I also have some 5 week old chicks in the coop (separated but visible to the others) and worried she might attack them too. The main mean girl is Karen, or F$king Karen as she is normally referred to.

Any advice would be appreciated.
I had a hen that became mean and abusive. I isolated her during the day so she was not able to see the flock. I did this for 3 days. I would put her in coop at night to roost with the others then put her in time out each day. After the 3rd day I put her in with others and she still had a bad attitude and attacked.
I isolated her another 4 days - put her back in with the flock and now she’s good with the others. She is still the boss and might chase one off, but no longer mean. So it took 7 days of isolation total for the attitude adjustment.

I have recently posted about 2 of my red star hens looking bald on their crown. I've watched daily I've seen no aggression until yesterday. I have a black star named Thelma who kept jumping on sweet Blanche. So there she is!! My mean girl is Thelma! Blanche has lost feathers on her hiney and her tail feathers are looking bad. Do I isolate Thelma? I'm not sure how to do it. I have a dog crate I can put in coop but Thelma wouldn't be able to access the run? Can someone clarify this prison stay and step by step what i do. Does she roost with the other girls at night? Also how do I help Blanche and her bald places a few are getting red spots which I'm assuming is blood at the surface? Thanks in advance.
20230210_183826.jpg

Attachments

• 20230210_183919.jpg
    20230210_183919.jpg
    468 KB · Views: 1
I have recently posted about 2 of my red star hens looking bald on their crown. I've watched daily I've seen no aggression until yesterday. I have a black star named Thelma who kept jumping on sweet Blanche. So there she is!! My mean girl is Thelma! Blanche has lost feathers on her hiney and her tail feathers are looking bad. Do I isolate Thelma? I'm not sure how to do it. I have a dog crate I can put in coop but Thelma wouldn't be able to access the run? Can someone clarify this prison stay and step by step what i do. Does she roost with the other girls at night? Also how do I help Blanche and her bald places a few are getting red spots which I'm assuming is blood at the surface? Thanks in advance. View attachment 3415299
The scalping does not look all that bad at this stage. What you can do for the 2 Red stars, is apply some BluKote to the area. I myself prefer the liquid with the dabber, VS, Spray.
iu

Just a little bit of advice. When applying to chicken, do not wear your Sunday Best. Chicken may decide to shake off, and that BluKote will be splattering over your clothes., Also good Idea to wear gloves, to avoid stained fingers.

Now to the JAIL TIME EXPLAINED.
You would need to remove Thelma totally from coop, and keep somewhere else, Like your garage, for about one week. When you bring her back, she will be at the bottom of pecking order,, as a newcomer. She may mellow down for a while. She will of course try to climb the pecking order ladder naturally.
If you see that Thelma is still scalping other chickens, you may need to file her upper beak somewhat. This way, she will not be able to grab the feathers with beak.
I do not know your total setup, and how the feeders, and waterers are located. Often times, the chickens do squabble at the feed spot. (dish, bowl, trough) It is advisable to have more than one feed station, to overcome the feed domination factor.
Ask anything else you are not sure of.:)

WISHING YOU BEST,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,:highfive:

I have recently posted about 2 of my red star hens looking bald on their crown. I've watched daily I've seen no aggression until yesterday. I have a black star named Thelma who kept jumping on sweet Blanche. So there she is!! My mean girl is Thelma! Blanche has lost feathers on her hiney and her tail feathers are looking bad. Do I isolate Thelma? I'm not sure how to do it. I have a dog crate I can put in coop but Thelma wouldn't be able to access the run? Can someone clarify this prison stay and step by step what i do. Does she roost with the other girls at night? Also how do I help Blanche and her bald places a few are getting red spots which I'm assuming is blood at the surface? Thanks in advance. View attachment 3415299
I had a hen that became mean and abusive. I isolated her during the day so she was not able to see the flock. I did this for 3 days. I would put her in coop at night to roost with the others then put her in time out each day. After the 3rd day I put her in with others and she still had a bad attitude and attacked.
I isolated her another 4 days - put her back in with the flock and now she’s good with the others. She is still the boss and might chase one off, but no longer mean. So it took 7 days of isolation total for the attitude adjustment.

Let her be a chicken, don’t crate her, but don’t let her see the rest of the flock - I blocked off a section of the yard with temporary poultry fence and literally put a drape (Heavy shade cloth) in place so she could not see the others. Once dusk came I put her in to roost with the others and isolated her 1st think the next morning. Kind of a pain, but we’ll worth the effort and now my flock is a happy family. Good luck !

The scalping does not look all that bad at this stage. What you can do for the 2 Red stars, is apply some BluKote to the area. I myself prefer the liquid with the dabber, VS, Spray.
iu

Just a little bit of advice. When applying to chicken, do not wear your Sunday Best. Chicken may decide to shake off, and that BluKote will be splattering over your clothes., Also good Idea to wear gloves, to avoid stained fingers.

Now to the JAIL TIME EXPLAINED.
You would need to remove Thelma totally from coop, and keep somewhere else, Like your garage, for about one week. When you bring her back, she will be at the bottom of pecking order,, as a newcomer. She may mellow down for a while. She will of course try to climb the pecking order ladder naturally.
If you see that Thelma is still scalping other chickens, you may need to file her upper beak somewhat. This way, she will not be able to grab the feathers with beak.
I do not know your total setup, and how the feeders, and waterers are located. Often times, the chickens do squabble at the feed spot. (dish, bowl, trough) It is advisable to have more than one feed station, to overcome the feed domination factor.
Ask anything else you are not sure of.:)

WISHING YOU BEST,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,:highfive:
Thank you. Good information. I have taken better photos today. Her feathers are rough looking. I've sprayed Vetricyn on her and also sprayed the entire flock with my essential oil anti pecking spray. BluKote is going on this afternoon. I need to buy some. My girls are 14mo old now and Thelma is getting a bit testy. Setting my game camera back up to make sure she's the only mean girl

Attachments

• 20230227_103124.jpg
    20230227_103124.jpg
    301.7 KB · Views: 2
  • 20230227_103056.jpg
    20230227_103056.jpg
    293.7 KB · Views: 1
  • 20230227_103018.jpg
    20230227_103018.jpg
    290.1 KB · Views: 1
Thank you. Good information. I have taken better photos today. Her feathers are rough looking. I've sprayed Vetricyn on her and also sprayed the entire flock with my essential oil anti pecking spray. BluKote is going on this afternoon. I need to buy some. My girls are 14mo old now and Thelma is getting a bit testy. Setting my game camera back up to make sure she's the only mean girl

What I wanted to add... The BLUE color serves another purpose. Chickens do not see BLUE as a wound, therefore tend to not peck at it.
So it is pecking correct? I just don't see any lice or mites.
Thanks

What I wanted to add... The BLUE color serves another purpose. Chickens do not see BLUE as a wound, therefore tend to not peck at it.
Update on my girls. I really don't see alot of aggressive behavior. Just the usual squabbles like get out of my way or let me roost where you want to roost. I have cameras and just haven't caught continual mean girl behavior. I am still putting the bluekote on her so its a wait and see i guess. She eats like a champ. So I'm going to just stop obsessing over it.

Back
Top Bottom