Cheep Chick Perches

I no longer try to train chicks to roost because I have an adult flock that will show them how. My last batch of chicks put themselves to roost at 29 days old. Without adult birds (or in your case, adults that aren't roosting), you can encourage them to roost by physically putting them on roost bars.

View attachment 2492220

This is too cute!

I will encourage them at night. They love perching and their nest boxes. My largest and bossiest takes breaks in the nest box or on a perch when she wants some time alone. She doesn't always lay in the nest box, but only stays a few minutes. Just a smoke break from bossing the hens around.

Hopefully the new perches will be enticing.

I used to use 2x2s in our coup and our chickens did fine thru 2 very cold winters. But, there are a large amount posts that say 2 inches isn’t large enough. So, I cut a couple 4+ inches branches for roosts in their coop. Whether they like it better or not, they haven’t said. To me, it looks like they have a more difficult time holding on when going from roost to roost. But they have what they have for the foreseeable future.

Back
Top Bottom