Chick failing to thrive: help, suggestions and encouragement needed for this new chicken mama

tikatie

Hatching
Jun 27, 2020
I'm writing because I am concerned about Runty, one of four chicks I adopted from an unfortunate situation. I now have three chicks/pullets total.

Bird:
  • Runty is an 8-week-old silkie who is about half the size of the other two chicks.
  • I think she is growing, but it's hard to say because she's growing so slowly and the others are so much bigger. She is definitely smaller and thinner that the other two.
Behavior:
  • Runty is eating, drinking and pooping. She runs to new food and treats in the brooder and eats enthusiastically, and yet she is otherwise lethargic.
  • She often closes her eyes without really sleeping. She doesn't explore like her sisters, and she definitely doesn't have their energy. Instead, she quickly returns to her heated box after eating.
  • Though I have seen her poop and drink, she does so less frequently that the others.
  • She cheeps quite a lot, and it's a more constant and harsh chirp that the other two, who make trilling noises in addition to the occasional chirp. I've watched her closely to see if she is hot or cold, and I adjust the temperature of the heating pad and a separate heating stand accordingly. It seems to help her a bit but not much.
  • She often tries to hide or warm herself under her sisters, who tend to move away from her.
  • While I am likely anthropomorphizing chicken behavior, it also seems like the others bully Runty by pushing her out of the way and landing on top of her as they try out their new feathers.
  • When I have tried to separate her previously, she was very upset and didn't stop chirping until I'd put her back with her sisters.
Duration of symptoms:
  • As her name suggests, I noticed she was the smallest right away. One chick who passed away was only slightly larger than Runty, but now it's really obvious how small Runty is next to the other two, who look like pullets.
  • It's been about 10 days since I first noticed Runty's above behaviors. I've become more concerned the last 5 days or so as she didn't shake it off.
  • The other two birds do not exhibit any of the same symptoms/behaviors and instead are quite active, curious and speedy.
Signs of injury/trauma:
  • None that I can see. Runty is sometimes a little unsteady on her feet, but then she'll shoot out of the brooder like a bowling ball when I least expect it. (It's been a few days since she's done that though.)
What may have happened:
  • As background, I am a brand new chicken mama who took in chicks from a neighbor who posted on Nextdoor saying she was allergic and in need of a good home for 6 four-week-old chicks. (It seemed legitimate until I found out she'd started with 8, lost 3 before my official adoption day, and had a very sad and unhappy chick when I went to pick them up. I sadly had to euthanize the sick one the same evening, and lost one more chick, Mirabelle, about two weeks later (found her dead).)
  • When I picked up the sick chick (who was ultimately euthanized) I was initially very concerned about Marek's or another contagious disease, but I cleaned like crazy, built a new brooder, got them new food, treated them for cocci with corrid, and kept a very close eye on them.
  • Everything seemed better for 2 weeks. I was hopeful for a while but now I am concerned about the sudden death of Mirabelle and Runty's seeming failure to thrive.
Diet:
  • When I got the chicks from the neighbor they came with a bag of unmarked chicken feed from the feed store. I quickly replaced it with Manna Pro Chick Starter and am now introducing Scratch and Peck Feeds Organic Grower, mixing it in along with the Chick Starter.
  • I'm providing chick grit as well as grower grit since I have read they're on the cusp of needing larger grit, age wise.
  • Treats: I fed them scrambled eggs every 1-2 days for the first couple of weeks. I now give them grubs as treats along with the occasional sprig of rosemary or piece of kale from the garden.
  • Runty is drinking, but not as much as the others. Today I used a syringe to give her some drops of water (with corrid).
Poop:
  • It's hard for me to say if Runty's poop is normal since I am so new to this. Today her poop seemed solid and faintly green. Nothing runny or startling.
  • She does not have a pasty butt. (I check at least once every day.)
  • I haven't seen the culprit, but there is evidence in the brooder that one of the chicks has runnier and much darker poop, which is why I have continued corrid.
Treatment:
  • The initial owner said she had been treating them for cocci. I continued the corrid treatment for 5 days when I got them, since so many others had died.
  • I treated them with corrid again last week when I saw some diarrhea in the brooder.
  • They've had fresh water only for the last few days, but given Runty's condition I added corrid again today.
House and bedding:
  • They're in a homemade brooder built from wood scraps and hardware cloth. They're still inside while we finish the coop. It's a large brooder so I put down grippy shelf liner to prevent them slipping and paper towels for easy clean up. They have a scratching box with sand, too. They have a box under a heating pad for heat.
Please help! What can I do for Runty, and given the other chick deaths, is there reason to hope or despair for the lot?
Runty and Chicks.jpg

It seems this chick may just be a "failure to thrive" chick, which is no one's fault and likely not correctable. If Runty is the same age as the other two, it is significantly behind. The only suggestions I have are to go back to feeding scrambled egg, even if it's just to the one, keep providing an extra warm spot, and depending on how desperate you are to save it, which I would not say has a high likelihood, you could get a couple of new bantam chicks and house Runty with them, separate from the other two, who appear to be very healthy and progressing well. The greater the size difference, the harder it will be for Runty to survive. Mother Nature can be unsympathetic to the loser in the gene pool.
The reason I suggest getting two new bantams to keep her company, if you go that route, is so if she doesn't make it they still have each other, and if you were able to find a couple more Silkie chicks that are really young, once they get a little bigger they can still be integrated with the other two. Silkies are kind of a breed unto themselves. I know people who have been successful keeping them in a mixed flock, but they can really struggle. Their crests make them defenseless because they can't see anything overhead, and those little heads can become targets for other breeds.
You are doing an excellent job, they are very fortunate you came along.

I'm writing because I am concerned about Runty, one of four chicks I adopted from an unfortunate situation. I now have three chicks/pullets total.

Bird:
  • Runty is an 8-week-old silkie who is about half the size of the other two chicks.
  • I think she is growing, but it's hard to say because she's growing so slowly and the others are so much bigger. She is definitely smaller and thinner that the other two.
Behavior:
  • Runty is eating, drinking and pooping. She runs to new food and treats in the brooder and eats enthusiastically, and yet she is otherwise lethargic.
  • She often closes her eyes without really sleeping. She doesn't explore like her sisters, and she definitely doesn't have their energy. Instead, she quickly returns to her heated box after eating.
  • Though I have seen her poop and drink, she does so less frequently that the others.
  • She cheeps quite a lot, and it's a more constant and harsh chirp that the other two, who make trilling noises in addition to the occasional chirp. I've watched her closely to see if she is hot or cold, and I adjust the temperature of the heating pad and a separate heating stand accordingly. It seems to help her a bit but not much.
  • She often tries to hide or warm herself under her sisters, who tend to move away from her.
  • While I am likely anthropomorphizing chicken behavior, it also seems like the others bully Runty by pushing her out of the way and landing on top of her as they try out their new feathers.
  • When I have tried to separate her previously, she was very upset and didn't stop chirping until I'd put her back with her sisters.
Duration of symptoms:
  • As her name suggests, I noticed she was the smallest right away. One chick who passed away was only slightly larger than Runty, but now it's really obvious how small Runty is next to the other two, who look like pullets.
  • It's been about 10 days since I first noticed Runty's above behaviors. I've become more concerned the last 5 days or so as she didn't shake it off.
  • The other two birds do not exhibit any of the same symptoms/behaviors and instead are quite active, curious and speedy.
Signs of injury/trauma:
  • None that I can see. Runty is sometimes a little unsteady on her feet, but then she'll shoot out of the brooder like a bowling ball when I least expect it. (It's been a few days since she's done that though.)
What may have happened:
  • As background, I am a brand new chicken mama who took in chicks from a neighbor who posted on Nextdoor saying she was allergic and in need of a good home for 6 four-week-old chicks. (It seemed legitimate until I found out she'd started with 8, lost 3 before my official adoption day, and had a very sad and unhappy chick when I went to pick them up. I sadly had to euthanize the sick one the same evening, and lost one more chick, Mirabelle, about two weeks later (found her dead).)
  • When I picked up the sick chick (who was ultimately euthanized) I was initially very concerned about Marek's or another contagious disease, but I cleaned like crazy, built a new brooder, got them new food, treated them for cocci with corrid, and kept a very close eye on them.
  • Everything seemed better for 2 weeks. I was hopeful for a while but now I am concerned about the sudden death of Mirabelle and Runty's seeming failure to thrive.
Diet:
  • When I got the chicks from the neighbor they came with a bag of unmarked chicken feed from the feed store. I quickly replaced it with Manna Pro Chick Starter and am now introducing Scratch and Peck Feeds Organic Grower, mixing it in along with the Chick Starter.
  • I'm providing chick grit as well as grower grit since I have read they're on the cusp of needing larger grit, age wise.
  • Treats: I fed them scrambled eggs every 1-2 days for the first couple of weeks. I now give them grubs as treats along with the occasional sprig of rosemary or piece of kale from the garden.
  • Runty is drinking, but not as much as the others. Today I used a syringe to give her some drops of water (with corrid).
Poop:
  • It's hard for me to say if Runty's poop is normal since I am so new to this. Today her poop seemed solid and faintly green. Nothing runny or startling.
  • She does not have a pasty butt. (I check at least once every day.)
  • I haven't seen the culprit, but there is evidence in the brooder that one of the chicks has runnier and much darker poop, which is why I have continued corrid.
Treatment:
  • The initial owner said she had been treating them for cocci. I continued the corrid treatment for 5 days when I got them, since so many others had died.
  • I treated them with corrid again last week when I saw some diarrhea in the brooder.
  • They've had fresh water only for the last few days, but given Runty's condition I added corrid again today.
House and bedding:
  • They're in a homemade brooder built from wood scraps and hardware cloth. They're still inside while we finish the coop. It's a large brooder so I put down grippy shelf liner to prevent them slipping and paper towels for easy clean up. They have a scratching box with sand, too. They have a box under a heating pad for heat.
Please help! What can I do for Runty, and given the other chick deaths, is there reason to hope or despair for the lot?
View attachment 2232017
Wow, the 3 of them are all teeny tiny for 8 weeks, mine are 9 weeks old & this is what they look like, I also have 2 Szzlers that are 4 weeks old. I too am a 1st time chicken momma & still learning, I know I'm not much help here, except for size comparison. 1st photo is Splish & Splash 4 wk old silkie/frizzles, the others are of my 9 wk old silkies. I wish you nothing but the best for little Runty, please keep us updated. Hugs

Attachments

• 20200706_204705.jpg
    20200706_204705.jpg
    434.2 KB · Views: 6
  • 20200706_141922.jpg
    20200706_141922.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 6
  • 20200619_203054.jpg
    20200619_203054.jpg
    540.1 KB · Views: 5
  • 20200706_141924.jpg
    20200706_141924.jpg
    1,010.8 KB · Views: 5
It seems this chick may just be a "failure to thrive" chick, which is no one's fault and likely not correctable. If Runty is the same age as the other two, it is significantly behind. The only suggestions I have are to go back to feeding scrambled egg, even if it's just to the one, keep providing an extra warm spot, and depending on how desperate you are to save it, which I would not say has a high likelihood, you could get a couple of new bantam chicks and house Runty with them, separate from the other two, who appear to be very healthy and progressing well. The greater the size difference, the harder it will be for Runty to survive. Mother Nature can be unsympathetic to the loser in the gene pool.
The reason I suggest getting two new bantams to keep her company, if you go that route, is so if she doesn't make it they still have each other, and if you were able to find a couple more Silkie chicks that are really young, once they get a little bigger they can still be integrated with the other two. Silkies are kind of a breed unto themselves. I know people who have been successful keeping them in a mixed flock, but they can really struggle. Their crests make them defenseless because they can't see anything overhead, and those little heads can become targets for other breeds.
You are doing an excellent job, they are very fortunate you came along.
Thank you so very much for your kind and considerate reply. It made a difference. Unfortunately, you were right and Runty was not long for this world. However, based on your advice I did feed her scrambled egg, made sure she was warm and comfortable and gave her love during her last hours. She died the next day and it broke my heart, but I was able to hold her and she went peacefully. I have always been tender-hearted and I knew that losing chicks would be difficult for me, but I didn't realize how attached I would become after just a few weeks. I think it was harder because I tried so hard and had hoped she would be OK.

Anyhow. I really appreciate your kindness in reaching out with a thoughtful and helpful reply. It's good to know that silkies don't always well with other breeds so I can plan and prepare for next steps.

The other two seem to be doing well, though I'm 99% sure one is a rooster and they aren't allowed in Denver. It's been a stressful and sad few weeks but I am glad that I was able to help them, even if it doesn't turn out how I expected. Thank you.

Wow, the 3 of them are all teeny tiny for 8 weeks, mine are 9 weeks old & this is what they look like, I also have 2 Szzlers that are 4 weeks old. I too am a 1st time chicken momma & still learning, I know I'm not much help here, except for size comparison. 1st photo is Splish & Splash 4 wk old silkie/frizzles, the others are of my 9 wk old silkies. I wish you nothing but the best for little Runty, please keep us updated. Hugs
Wow, you're right. Yours do look bigger, especially compared to Little Miss Runty. I was told my chicks hatched on May 12, though it's possible that isn't accurate. The thought has crossed my mind that they may be younger.

Unfortunately, Runty passed away the next day. She was such a sweet little thing; it took me a few days before I wanted to reply.

I have two left, Henny Penny and Richard. I've (clearly) suspected that Richard is a roo, and now he is developing spikey streamer feathers and wattles... Oh dear. If this is the case, then Henny Penny will be on her own soon, which I don't like either. At this point, I think I need to get additional silkie chicks to keep her company, though I am nervous they will die too. And I need to find a good place for Richard. I am not too sure what I should do next.

Thank you for sharing your sweet chicks with me and your kindness. I hope they continue to thrive and bring you many years of happiness.

Back
Top Bottom