Chick food for hens and integrating during cold snap

heather134

Chirping
Jan 9, 2021
Indiana
This probably should be in two separate forums, but it all connects...
We're about to have a cold snap in a few days and I have three pullets who are almost 13 weeks old. Plan was to integrate them on Friday, but it will be below freezing for the following several days. Tonight it's between 40-60. Should I wait another week and see if it warms up or go ahead and introduce them now, keeping an eye to make sure no one is bullied into the run at night?

For food, my plan is to set up two watering stations and two food stations. That's what we did last time and it helped a little with the pecking. Is it ok to give the remainder of the chick feed to the entire flock? My hens aren't really laying right now anyway. They started molting about three months ago and one has resumed laying, but the others haven't. Not surprised with three of them - they haven't laid for almost a year so they'll be gone soon - but three others are not quite a year old (Wellsummers) and I'm a little annoyed that they haven't resumed egg production (I was getting 3-4 a day all summer). Will chick food help increase their protein and egg laying abilities?

Integrating them now shouldn't be a problem with the set-up you noted. Chick feed shouldn't hurt the remaining flock and the higher protein is good in the colder weather. And a 20% All Flock feed would be even better as long as you supplement with free choice oyster shells for the layers. Purina Flock Raiser crumbles have worked well for me.

go ahead and introduce them now, keeping an eye to make sure no one is bullied into the run at night?
Definitely check to make sure everyone gets to roost in the coop.

Maybe put up a wind break in the run so no one gets chilled when you are away at work.

Is it ok to give the remainder of the chick feed to the entire flock? M
Excellent to have them all eat the chick feed.

Higher protein feed is better for those molting, and better in cold weather.

Put an oyster feeder on the side.

Back
Top Bottom