chick half hatched and gasping for air

ajneal30

Songster
7 Years
May 22, 2012
I candled my last egg last night to see if it was viable. I could tell the chick had shrink wrapped. I scored the shell and broke a small hole in the air cell. I saw some movement but couldn't see the beak so I didn't dare break the membrane. I added more water and put the egg in a cup lined in a wet paper towel. This morning I checked on the chick and finally saw some movement after I had convinced myself it was dead. The chick had just enough strength during the night to get the tip of her beak through the membrane. I opened up the shell where the air cell had been and peeled the membrane back away from her beak to allow her to breathe easier. She was gasping for air an very weak. I have done assisted hatches before and am following all of the proper techniques. Peel back membrane until I see blood. Place chick back in the bator and wait. Wash, rinse, repeat.
My question is, can I do anything to boost her strength or stack the odds in her favor? She's a blue laced red Wyandotte and I have been trying for a long time to hatch some.

VERY weak now, barely breathing. This one's a goner.
sad.png

She died. When I looked really close it looked like maybe she had ripped the yolk sometime during her struggle. It looked like she was sitting in a puddle of yolk
sad.png

Back
Top Bottom