Chick in distress

ChickenAcre45

Hatching
Feb 14, 2023
Hello. We have 4 chicks that are 2 weeks old at this point. One of the 4 we noticed hasn’t been acting normal. Its vent area has no feathers and is swollen. I’ve ensured no sticky but around the vent after reading up on that a bit.
This morning the chick seems to be in more stress than usual. Any suggestions of things to try? I’ve read that this could be due to a parasite? Thoughts. Plz n ty

Hello. We have 4 chicks that are 2 weeks old at this point. One of the 4 we noticed hasn’t been acting normal. Its vent area has no feathers and is swollen. I’ve ensured no sticky but around the vent after reading up on that a bit.
This morning the chick seems to be in more stress than usual. Any suggestions of things to try? I’ve read that this could be due to a parasite? Thoughts. Plz n ty
Can you get photos? Is it pooping?

Attachments

• 356C00A6-D22E-404F-A547-1EA74D135FC9.jpeg
    356C00A6-D22E-404F-A547-1EA74D135FC9.jpeg
    306.8 KB · Views: 7
  • 4D63050F-1CB9-4D17-8478-42888CE91681.jpeg
    4D63050F-1CB9-4D17-8478-42888CE91681.jpeg
    389.6 KB · Views: 6
Is it dried, blocked?
I know the chick is 2 weeks old, but this is definitely the vent, not the naval, right?

First thing in my mind is pasty butt, but I don't know if that's likely to be it.
What is the chick being fed, any treats? Is it drinking?

@Eggcessive

I would separate for a few hours, clean the butt and watch is chick pooping, eating, drinking.
Does the stomach feel normal?
I don’t think it would be parasites this early?

Try offering tiny pieces of slightly chilled coconut oil to peck. If it son’t put a piece into it’s beak every minute until it has some. It may be constipated, and they can have prolapsed vents from straining. Make sure it drinks by dipping it’s beak. How warm is your brooder temperature? Too warm can lead to constipation. It should be around 80-85 at 2 weeks.

I’ve separated it from the others. Will monitor to see how things go. Pretty certain this is the vent. Have brooder temp at 85

Currently just getting a chick starter-grower feed. No treats

Back
Top Bottom