Chick is bleeding bad

Bryce Thomas

Songster
Mar 21, 2021
Gilbert, AZ
The little chick is breaking out of the egg but the bleeding looks bad, someone please help. Do I get a q tip and rub some water on it to clean it off?

The little chick is breaking out of the egg but the bleeding looks bad, someone please help. Do I get a q tip and rub some water on it to clean it off?
Sometimes they pip through a vein and often times they don't make it because of the amount of blood they lose. :hugs You can apply pressure with a q-tip to try and stop the bleeding. Hopefully your little one is a tough chick and will pull through. :fl

Sometimes they pip through a vein and often times they don't make it because of the amount of blood they lose. :hugs You can apply pressure with a q-tip to try and stop the bleeding. Hopefully your little one is a tough chick and will pull through. :fl
I am using a paper towl to stop the bleeding and is working. I am holding him at my desk right now and soon put im into incubator and he is peeping and will soon join his siblings in the brooder, he is pulling through i think but the blood loss looked pretty bad but it clotted which is good my dad is a nurse so he teaches me some things so i kinda knew what to do so i think it will pull through

I am using a paper towl to stop the bleeding and is working. I am holding him at my desk right now and soon put im into incubator and he is peeping and will soon join his siblings in the brooder, he is pulling through i think but the blood loss looked pretty bad but it clotted which is good my dad is a nurse so he teaches me some things so i kinda knew what to do so i think it will pull through
That's great news. Just keep an eye on him and let him rest in the incubator for awhile until he looks a bit stronger. Hatching is hard work and this baby has had it even harder. You can give them electrolytes or even just some sugar water if they look like they need a little boost.

An old trick used when nicked while shaving was to gently lay a bit of toilet tissue over the bleed allowing the absorbent (and soft) paper to staunch the bleeding.
Feed stores sell 'stop-bleed' powder.
Pharmacies sell styptic powder, sticks or swabs, although a pharmacy visit is unlikely to be soon enough to prevent the chick from bleeding to death in this instance, it would be a good idea to have some on hand for future hatches.

Back
Top Bottom