Chick keeps getting stuck on it's back?

johnsonfarm

Songster
10 Years
Oct 17, 2012
Wisconsin
We have a 5 day old chick that we keep finding under the brooder plate on his back and he can't right himself. He stands and walks ok, maybe a little wobbly, when he put him on his feet, but later we find him flipped again. He drinks really well, but isn't eating much. We put electrolytes in the water and tried some egg yolk which he wouldn't touch. Pretty sure he's had a few pieces of food but his crop isn't very full.

He did get chilled when we first got him home and my son held him close till he recovered, but he's in with 14 other chicks that are doing fantastic.
Now his left wing is drooping. His eyes are open and his peeps are strong and loud when he's out of the box, he is quiet under the brooder plate.
Any ideas?

We had the same issue with 2 of our barnevelder chicks, we found that they had splayed legs. We did 10 minutes of rubber banding the legs close together and helping them stand and walk on a flat area after a week they righted themselves and we couldn't even tell the difference between them and the other chicks.

Aren't my pictures

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230426-091021_Google.jpg
    Screenshot_20230426-091021_Google.jpg
    143.5 KB · Views: 16
  • Screenshot_20230426-091026_Google.jpg
    Screenshot_20230426-091026_Google.jpg
    180.5 KB · Views: 16
We have a 5 day old chick that we keep finding under the brooder plate on his back and he can't right himself. He stands and walks ok, maybe a little wobbly, when he put him on his feet, but later we find him flipped again. He drinks really well, but isn't eating much. We put electrolytes in the water and tried some egg yolk which he wouldn't touch. Pretty sure he's had a few pieces of food but his crop isn't very full.

He did get chilled when we first got him home and my son held him close till he recovered, but he's in with 14 other chicks that are doing fantastic.
Now his left wing is drooping. His eyes are open and his peeps are strong and loud when he's out of the box, he is quiet under the brooder plate.
Any ideas?
It could be a vitamin problem, wry neck, or that its legs are weak. It could also be splayed legs but since it is already 5 days old and walking ok, I don't think it is.

Try giving it vitamin E and B, nutridrench, and some eggs. If you can, take it to a vet.

Keep us posted!

Back
Top Bottom