Chick not standing, fluid in belly/bottom.

Villainess

Songster
Apr 27, 2019
Indiana, USA
Two days ago I had this chick hatch at Day 22 of incubation. Of the 11 chicks that have hatched thus far, this chick had the longer and seemingly more difficult time of hatching. Even after 24 hours when the rest were freed of their shells and at least moving around, this little guy/gal was completely matted up with dry yolk and egg shell sticking to it, flat on its belly with its legs straight out behind it.

Hoping the chick just needed resting, we let it remain in the incubator past the 48 hour mark when the others were dry and fluffy, then we gave it a little “bath” tonight, just enough warm water to remove the dry yolk and clean its bottom, before putting it back in the incubator to dry.

Through this all, the chick has never gotten to its feet, though it appears to WANT to be active. The little thing moves its head back and forth, kicks its little legs and tries to move its wings, but it will not/cannot stand. I have tried to hold it upright, giving it a chance to stand on its own feet with some support from me, but it will not remain upright. I had wanted to try hobbling it or bracing its legs like I’ve seen in the multiple videos on splay/spraddle leg, but now I’m wondering if there is a bigger issue at play. The chick looks to have a build up of fluid in its belly and rear, and there’s also what looks like an accumulation of fluid near the nape of its neck.

I’ve tried to attach two pics of the more noticeable fluid sac of the abdomen. The chick’s belly is against my hand. The vent looks normal and healthy, but above and to the right of this fluid sac. The chick is slightly damp down there, as I wanted to clear any waste from its vent (it is pooping on itself) so I could have a clear view there.

Is this normal? None of my other chicks look like this. Is there something I can do to help? I have tried giving it food (moistened chick starter) and water, so at least it doesn’t starve or dehydrate. Is this “mushy chick disease?” Any advice or help would be greatly appreciated!

Attachments

• D1176DEE-AF90-4A27-BB25-F1AF6D6FB93D.jpeg
    D1176DEE-AF90-4A27-BB25-F1AF6D6FB93D.jpeg
    197 KB · Views: 36
  • 86A4DBE2-453E-40B2-8C62-54EB861E1C46.jpeg
    86A4DBE2-453E-40B2-8C62-54EB861E1C46.jpeg
    229.5 KB · Views: 20
It's really hard to do very much for them when they are so small. You can do what you are doing, supportive care, and see what happens, or you can cull. Personally, I would cull unless I saw some definite signs of improvement after this much time. I'm sorry. :hugs

Back
Top Bottom