Chick pecked by mother

Dlcna30

Chirping
Mar 22, 2023
I went out to check because I knew chicks were starting to pip well the mother hens pecked at the newly hatched chick. I should add these are 2 broody Bantams sitting in the same nesting box sharing eggs and the eggs were put under them as soon as they went broody this is an olive Egger chick I also removed 2 others that are hatching and 5 more set to hatch in 8 days I left the Bantam 4 of their eggs. I have cleaned with vetinary iodine and put bacitracin on it. Any idea why hens would kill chick

Attachments

• 16803772300226375733231522492432.jpg
    16803772300226375733231522492432.jpg
    310.3 KB · Views: 47
hens on a nest can be downright nasty to anything disturbing them .. id guess a better strategy to introduce chicks under a broody, but honestly ive never done it .. theyre safer in a brooder box around here ..

hens on a nest can be downright nasty to anything disturbing them .. id guess a better strategy to introduce chicks under a broody, but honestly ive never done it .. theyre safer in a brooder box around here ..
No I put eggs from my other hens with the couple eggs they had. They have been sitting on these eggs from day one. I have switched eggs before my jersey giant went broody and all I had fertile were Bantam eggs she raised the 3 she hatched as her own. I have also taken from a not so good brooder and given the eggs to another broody hen who had 100% hatch rate her first clutch.

I went out to check because I knew chicks were starting to pip well the mother hens pecked at the newly hatched chick. I should add these are 2 broody Bantams sitting in the same nesting box sharing eggs and the eggs were put under them as soon as they went broody

Any idea why hens would kill chick
Perhaps because you have 2 broody hens sitting in the same nesting box sharing.

Separate your broody hens and give them their own space next time.

Hopefully the chick will heal and make it. Spray her raw areas with some Vetericyn and keep her hydrated. Offer her some wet chick starter to eat and keep her warm.

Hopefully the chick will heal and make it. Spray her raw areas with some Vetericyn and keep her hydrated. Offer her some wet chick starter to eat and keep her warm.
I tried separating the hens more than once they would end up together again. They are mean when broody you have to wear gloves to do anything because of this I left them alone. Chick is doing good gave electrolyte and vitamin supplement she has mushy food though not interested yet but has had her water with supplements. She is acting perfectly normal so we will see how she does.

I tried separating the hens more than once they would end up together again. They are mean when broody you have to wear gloves to do anything because of this I left them alone. Chick is doing good gave electrolyte and vitamin supplement she has mushy food though not interested yet but has had her water with supplements. She is acting perfectly normal so we will see how she does.
Some broody hens can be a bit persnickety.
Placing them in separate brooding pens is helpful, this way when chicks hatch, hens are not fighting and getting excited and injuring chicks or one another.

I'm glad the chick is doing well!

I have several sets of hens who choose to brood together and raise chicks together. This hasn't happened in the last 8 years I've been raising chickens. One pair hatches out the eggs and her partner takes the chicks. I don't separate broodies who brood together.

Back
Top Bottom