Chick question for cold weather chick owners?

TcherDawn

Granite State Chook
10 Years
Jan 30, 2009
Prescott, AZ
My chicks are almost 9 weeks old, large breeds, and fully feathered (except for the runt). Can they be in the covered Chick n Hutch overnight. The temp here today is 71 for high, high 40's for a low tonight. I just need some reassurance from some nothern chick people that they will be ok. They have shavings to nestle down into and the eight of them huddle together nicely. They just outgrew their small area in the coop so quickly and I needed somewhere to put them fast. They were pulling out each others feathers, because of the tight quarters I think. In the coop it got down into the low 60's every night, so it is not THAT different for them. Just some reassurance needed, or another idea. Thanks. -Dawn

I don't live in the North, but I can tell you that 9 week old chicks should not need heat at all for anything above freezing. The only time you can run into trouble is if you keep them under heat and then suddenly move them out to a cold coop. If they've already acclimated they will be fine.
Best to let them adjust to colder temps. now so they'll be ready for winter.

I agree with what the others have said. Our chicks are now 10 wks old and have been outside for a month already. We have had overnight temps in the low 50's. We still have all the windows and vents open, so the coop is very airy right now.

Thanks for the encouragement/reassurances. I feel like I have spent weeks worrying about the exact temperature for them. Now I am just having to relax and let them be chickens. Deep breath in, and out.... They will be fine. And they are already MUCH happier with their new much larger quarters! If I waited until it got warm enough here in NH, well, HA!

We're in souther NH, along rte 101. We've had ours in the coop since they were 9 weeks old, they were almost fully feathered. No issues at all. They're more hardy than we usually give them credit for.

I haven't added any windows to the coop yet, so they're just holes covered with screen & 1/2 inch hardware cloth. I'll be adding plexiglass windows by Halloween.

They were fine, as you all told me they would be. They did great, and it got into the low 40's out there. So cold for August. Now it is supposed to be hot for three days, then cool off again. Poor chickens have to adapt so quickly! They are tough I guess. Thanks to all!

Back
Top Bottom