Chick scared of hatchmates

Jannbo

Chirping
May 19, 2023
So I have 5 healthy and happy gambel chicks, but one hatched today with curled toes. The others were walking all over it in the incubator so I took them all out and brought the disabled one out so I could fix its toes. Well it took about an hour and the chick was scared so badly by it, but it had to be done. I put it back in the incubator to finish fluffing up and stayed right next to it to keep an eye on it. When I went to reunite everyone, this one began crying like it had been stepped on or something. It was so loud and sounded so scared. I took it out and it immediately calmed down.

I’ve tried two more times to reunite them in new brooders but it just wants nothing to do with them. It seems to only be calm when I hold it. Do I just keep it separate from the others for now and give it tons of attention, or just throw it in with the others? I work from home so I don’t mind the time commitment, I just want to do what’s best for this little one. It is eating on its own, but I haven’t seen it drink, although it was born today so hard to call that an issue quite yet. I’m keeping it right next to the brooder with the others for now so hopefully it’ll get used to them, but that’s all I can think to do for it

Here’s the little scared baby sleeping in my hand. Been using hot breath and a heating pad to keep it warn for now
IMG_2994.jpeg

Taking a chance and keeping it with the others since I only have one stuffed animal and its hatchmates have become very attached to it and this one definitely needs one. So far it’s going well. Their brooder is next to my bed so I’ll be able to keep an eye on them all and move it away from the others if needed, but it seems to be going well so far!

At first one started pecking at it, but it picked back and the other one with a tuft on its head came and defended it. It’s been good ever since
IMG_2996.jpeg

yet another update. The quail with curled toes kept getting stacked but the ones with tufts couldn’t keep protecting it cause they were sleeping, so the ones without tufts were separated. Not sure why those three are so aggressive towards it while the ones with tufts are so nice to it. It’s too late to figure out why tonight but hopefully I’ll be able to figure it out tomorrow and get everyone back together

yet another update. The quail with curled toes kept getting stacked but the ones with tufts couldn’t keep protecting it cause they were sleeping, so the ones without tufts were separated. Not sure why those three are so aggressive towards it while the ones with tufts are so nice to it. It’s too late to figure out why tonight but hopefully I’ll be able to figure it out tomorrow and get everyone back together
They all have tufts when they are born but they can move them up or down, so It is likely all of them that are picking on him. Quail like most birds will pick on the weakest bird there is, and once there is a drop of blood its game over for him. I would try to separate him but if you can't then just check on him very often making sure he's getting enough nutrients.

They all have tufts when they are born but they can move them up or down, so It is likely all of them that are picking on him. Quail like most birds will pick on the weakest bird there is, and once there is a drop of blood its game over for him. I would try to separate him but if you can't then just check on him very often making sure he's getting enough nutrients.
Interesting, I’ll probably have to separate him today then to be safe. Seems to have done well over night though so that’s good

Back
Top Bottom