Chick scratch?

Bodhisan

Songster
Jul 11, 2020
Seattle area
We have three production blue chickies a little over two weeks old. They're outside in a coop brooder with access to a little run that's about 2.5' x 5' - dirt ground, which they've now realized they can be out there as much as they want - and they are quite a bit. What would be good to throw a bit of out on the ground for them to peck at - if anything? Some of their food, maybe?

No...don't even buy scratch. Offer the complete balanced feed.

Maybe some grit rocks, baby chick size.

I had given them some grit - and then read where they didn't need grit unless I gave them treats or something other than their feed? Read below...
No...don't even buy scratch. Offer the complete balanced feed.

Got it.

There feed is a good idea, just make sure it doesn't get wet and then moldy.
It may be better to just add additional feeders.

Great - I'll throw some of their "complete balanced feed" on the ground for them. :)

The chicks don't need grit or scratch when they are young like that. I don't give my chicks anything. They always have their feed available. They will keep themselves entertained. They will scratch around as it's in their nature. They don't need stuff to scratch. Good luck and have fun...

I had given them some grit - and then read where they didn't need grit unless I gave them treats or something other than their feed?
There is no downside to offering grit. If they don't need it, they won't eat it. But it's good to have on hand if they do need it. If they're outside, they might eat the occasional bug or other non-commercial-feed item that will need help being digested. Grit doesn't expire or go bad. Give them some in a bowl. They'll eat it if and when they need it.

Back
Top Bottom