Chick sexing HELP

Studio2770

Songster
9 Years
Apr 29, 2013
I couldn't decide to put this in What Breed or Gender is This? Or Raising Baby Chicks. I have two cochin chicks, one black or blue, and one partridgeCould I tell the sex when they're a week old? They're sexed as pullets, but the partridge one is a bit bigger, alert, and has less wing feathers than the smaller black/blue one.

Last edited:
Generally the pullets will get their feathers in faster than the cockerals, but it is still too early to use this as a judge. And size means nothing at this age. I know the wait is hard, but give them a month or so. Many times the cockerals will start to crow and act aggressive. :)

Generally the pullets will get their feathers in faster than the cockerals, but it is still too early to use this as a judge. And size means nothing at this age. I know the wait is hard, but give them a month or so. Many times the cockerals will start to crow and act aggressive. :)
That's how it went with my leghorns, the boy was patchy and not too pretty. I forgot to mention the one I'm paranoid about is a partridge cochin, and the other is a black or blue cochin.

Maybe you should post some pics in the gender section...maybe someone with experience with partridge cochins can be a good judge for you. :)

Back
Top Bottom