Chick staying under heat

Barb Root Hinkkanen

Songster
6 Years
Aug 19, 2017
Mississippi Gulf Coast
I did not expect to be so lost with hatching eggs and baby chicks but here I go again...

My Little Bit, has had a bit of pasty butt. It’s not really over her vent, but underneath it, between her naval and vent. I have been gently clearing her daily and checking her multiple times, also. She is eight days old and smaller than the other chicks. I’ve fed her cooked yolk, should I feed her raw yolk? She’s eating and drinking normally. Today when I put her back down she had a normal pooh and I was so excited! She seems perfectly fine but mostly stays under the heat lamp. I raised it yesterday and she chirped very loudly, (her lungs are fine!) and would not stop. I googled why chicks chirp and one reason was because they are cold. I adjusted the heat back down and she quieted down. My other chicks can get away from the heat and they do.

Should I be concerned? These are my first babies and I don’t want to do anything wrong. Also, her little butt is pink so I have been keeping a close watch on her and no one is messing with her. I’m keeping hydrogel on it. If anything, the others seem to watch out for her. Any advice or insight would be appreciated. Thank you.

Last edited:
This is why I like byc..the support that members give each other!!:wee
Yes, I agree. I lost my sweet Little Bit this morning. Last night I held her, wrapped her up in a blanket, and put her on my chest. She liked humming. She stayed there a good while. I set her up a “private” room within the brooder with her own food and water, and this morning I found her. At 10 days old I thought maybe she would make it. I kept her vent clean. I don’t know what else I could have done. She did not grow. It was a sad morning here. 😢

Back
Top Bottom