Chick with bloody neck/feathers

Thaddeuslax14

Hatching
May 5, 2023
Hello! I have a month-old Salmon Favarelle that appears to be the “runt” of the litter. She has a deformed foot that we are treating with a bandaid splint to straighten it out. She seems to be doing fine albeit developing slower than the rest of the flock. Things seemed to be going swell for her until this morning we saw that her neck appears to have been picked on—missing some feathers and some blood. I’m unsure if she is doing it to herself or not—I haven’t noticed the other chicks really picking on her. I have isolated her in the same kennel with some chicken wire and gave her her own food and water supply. Will see if there is any improvement after work today. Anyone else have experience with the same thing/solutions? Is there a topical I can put on her to minimize both her and her mates picking at her? Thanks in advance!

Thank you! Will stop by the store after work and see if perhaps they have some topical that will discourage pecking/picking. I really hope she gets past this. She’s become our special needs gal with her foot and I’ve grown quite fond of her. I’ve always rooted for the underdogs, ha ha. 🙏🏼

Back
Top Bottom