Chick with both feet curled when resting

Kedwar72

In the Brooder
Oct 17, 2023
Hi everyone! I have a 6 week old prairie bluebell chick who recently started balling up both of her feet when she is resting. She walks around the brooder box fine and is able to perch normally on my hand and the perch I put in the brooder box. No split legs, same size as the rest of my chicks, and seems to be eating and drinking fine. These are my first chicks and I’m anxious about any little thing that could be wrong with them! Anyone have any ideas about what could be wrong? Thank you so much!

Chickens naturally perch at night and to perch they curl their feet around something. It sounds like her body is naturally mimicking this process just on a flat surface. If she is fine everywhere else it’s just her equivalent of curling up for bed.

Welcome to BYC. Are the other chicks doing this as well? If it was a riboflavin (vitamin B2) deficiency, their toes are curled under as they sit on their hocks and may walk on their hocks with toes curled under. Riboflavin is found in human B complex or super B complex tablets, and dosage is 1/4 tablet daily for a chick. It can be crushed and put in food or a little water.

Chickens naturally perch at night and to perch they curl their feet around something. It sounds like her body is naturally mimicking this process just on a flat surface. If she is fine everywhere else it’s just her equivalent of curling up for bed.
Thank you! I hope that it’s something this simple, we plan on moving them to a coop with more space and perches this week. Are there any early warning signs for something more serious that I should look for? Or is this not typically a sign of a more serious condition?

Welcome to BYC. Are the other chicks doing this as well? If it was a riboflavin (vitamin B2) deficiency, their toes are curled under as they sit on their hocks and may walk on their hocks with toes curled under. Riboflavin is found in human B complex or super B complex tablets, and dosage is 1/4 tablet daily for a chick. It can be crushed and put in food or a little water.
Thanks so much! I did read something about a possible vitamin deficiency and I ordered a product called rooster booster. Is this known as a good supplement if the riboflavin deficiency is to blame?

Rooster Booster is just a brand name. They have several products. Do you have the full name? For example they have Poultry Cell a vitamin/mineral drop, and also they sell Vitamins With Electrolytes and Lactobacillus powder. If using Poultry Cell, they have riboflavin, and dosage is 1 ml for every 3 pounds of weight given daily for up to 5 days. Sometimes the human B complex can be cheaper, and lasts longer. It can be given indefinitely, since it does not have electrolytes, which may cause diarrhea after more than a few days.

Rooster Booster is just a brand name. They have several products. Do you have the full name? For example they have Poultry Cell a vitamin/mineral drop, and also they sell Vitamins With Electrolytes and Lactobacillus powder. If using Poultry Cell, they have riboflavin, and dosage is 1 ml for every 3 pounds of weight given daily for up to 5 days. Sometimes the human B complex can be cheaper, and lasts longer. It can be given indefinitely, since it does not have electrolytes, which may cause diarrhea after more than a few days.
Oh I see. I bought the Poultry Cell one. That’s good to know about the human b complex! I may return this and use that instead. Thanks so much again! This is the only chick so far who is curling her toes. I have four and they are all around the same age but different breeds

Poultry Cell is a great rescue drop for any age chicken who is suddenly weak or sick. You could try it, but I would start one of the 2 today. If riboflavin deficiency occurs, it needs to be treated right away.

Thank you! I hope that it’s something this simple, we plan on moving them to a coop with more space and perches this week. Are there any early warning signs for something more serious that I should look for? Or is this not typically a sign of a more serious condition?
From what I have experienced with deficiencies you would be seeing it more than when she was sleeping at night. I have had a couple where they were at the age when they go from sleeping on the ground to roosting would assume a roost position on the ground before they actually started roosting at night. On the other hand the ones that I had to treat for a B deficiency would more frequently be staying in the coop or off to the side with curled toes during the day. They also would be trying to rest their legs often by laying down on their hocks or would be walking with curled feet. However, it won’t hurt them to dose with a B supplement. That’s just my experience anyways.

Back
Top Bottom