Chicken backing away and pawing at chest (running backwards)

Please help figure out what is wrong with our chicken. I have tried to look online but not found anything that explains this behaviour.

Chicken is eating and drinking. Approx 8 months old. No other chickens showing the same symptoms.

Seems fine in itself but keeps pawing at its chest/crop. And randomly starts running backwards. Usually when eating but not always.

Fasted the chicken overnight and crop was empty and flat and felt fine. We checked its throat and can’t see anything stuck.

I have attached a video, hopefully someone has seen this before and can help. This surely can’t be pleasant at all. I just hope it’s fixable. Thank you!!

What does she eat on a regular basis?
Have you checked your real well for lice?

An update as requested. She is still making that strange sound. Still backing away and pawing at her chest.

She is eating and drinking though and although still skinny, she does not seem any worse.
It can take some time for a chicken to recover, just keep treating as suggested earlier and add the much needed calcium.

It’s my fathers flock but he has dewormed

When did your father last deworm them and what did he use for how many days?

I have a Dorking doing the same thing, which is caused by a gene defect that leading to vitamin E deficiency. I give extra vitamin E to help control it and she's better, but she's still walking backwards from time to time. It doesn't really affect her health though. Please check her to make sure she doesn't have sour/impact crop, injure, lice/mites, and other issues. If you chicken doesn't have any other problem, just add vitamin E powder to they feed. Extra vitamin E wouldn't hurt other chickens. Vitamin B will help potential nerve damage too.

I have a Dorking doing the same thing, which is caused by a gene defect that leading to vitamin E deficiency. I give extra vitamin E to help control it and she's better, but she's still walking backwards from time to time. It doesn't really affect her health though. Please check her to make sure she doesn't have sour/impact crop, injure, lice/mites, and other issues. If you chicken doesn't have any other problem, just add vitamin E powder to they feed. Extra vitamin E wouldn't hurt other chickens. Vitamin B will help potential nerve damage too.
Thank you! Yip we have checked her for injuries and parasites and crop issues. We will add the VitE. Thanks for the suggestion!

Back
Top Bottom