Chicken bully?

mldlm

Songster
Apr 3, 2022
Northeast Florida
I have one blue Australorp that is just aggravating the mess out of me. She (and her 3 siblings - another blue australorp and two white leghorns) are about 9 months old. I have two more that are about 7 months old. One is a black australorp and one is a speckled Sussex. The one blue 9 month old is, for no apparent reason, going after the black 7 month old. She doesn’t bother the speckled, just the australorp. She will find the younger one at random, the younger one takes the submission pose, and the older one pecks at her. She has never drawn any blood, but I just thought she would ease up once the younger one started laying. The younger one has been laying for about two weeks now. The other older ones don’t do it and will, in fact, eat alongside the younger ones and basically coexist. This one that picks at her will not eat with the younger ones and the younger ones run when she comes near. If it matters, she is bottom of the order in the original 4. Any ideas how to stop this? They all seem to coexist except for the one. She is ok with everyone except the younger black one. Thanks!

If it matters, she is bottom of the order in the original 4.
Typical low bird behavior when new birds are added to flock.
How long have the younger ones been there?

Any ideas how to stop this?
Wait it out, with lots of space, places to 'hide', and multiple feed and water stations(some out of sight of others).

I have one blue Australorp that is just aggravating the mess out of me. She (and her 3 siblings - another blue australorp and two white leghorns) are about 9 months old. I have two more that are about 7 months old. One is a black australorp and one is a speckled Sussex. The one blue 9 month old is, for no apparent reason, going after the black 7 month old. She doesn’t bother the speckled, just the australorp. She will find the younger one at random, the younger one takes the submission pose, and the older one pecks at her. She has never drawn any blood, but I just thought she would ease up once the younger one started laying. The younger one has been laying for about two weeks now. The other older ones don’t do it and will, in fact, eat alongside the younger ones and basically coexist. This one that picks at her will not eat with the younger ones and the younger ones run when she comes near. If it matters, she is bottom of the order in the original 4. Any ideas how to stop this? They all seem to coexist except for the one. She is ok with everyone except the younger black one. Thanks!
I feel your pain, I have chicks and B is just relentless in putting them in their place. The youngest layer in my flock has recently moved considerably up the ranks and that wasn’t an easy change for B either. As long as there’s no blood it’s all normal. They’ll generally settle into a pecking order and things will generally be harmonious.

Typical low bird behavior when new birds are added to flock.
How long have the younger ones been there?

Wait it out, with lots of space, places to 'hide', and multiple feed and water stations(some out of sight of others).
They have been together since since early August. I do have multiple feeders and waterers.

Back
Top Bottom