Nikschics

In the Brooder
Mar 12, 2021
Hello- I have 9 laying hens about a year old.. docile different breeds. Today I noticed my favorolle head to be more bald and what looks like plucked. Also, her throat is losing feathers and looks to be plucked. Is this bullying.. or a disease? Please if someone knows what this is and how to help?!?

thank you

Hello- I have 9 laying hens about a year old.. docile different breeds. Today I noticed my favorolle head to be more bald and what looks like plucked. Also, her throat is losing feathers and looks to be plucked. Is this bullying.. or a disease? Please if someone knows what this is and how to help?!?

thank you
I have many different breeds in my flock including Easter Eggers, a SF rooster and many of his half-breed daughters, all with muffs and beards. One nut job EE methodically went through the flock plucking out as much of the muffs and beards of these birds as she could... at least the ones she could get close to. I noticed that two higher ranking EEs and a couple of sassy pullets are still in glorious feather.
I have since sold this hen for this and other reasons.
You need to zero in on the plucker or deal with the fact she will regularly have her beard and muffs missing.

Have had a few beardless EE,
they just stand there and let other birds pluck their facial feathers.
Odd relationships.
I let it go, didn't seem like bullying to me.
.... and hardly recognized the birds when their beards grew back in full splendor.

Back
Top Bottom