Chicken Bum feathers not clean/ lethargic

emmahb

In the Brooder
Apr 23, 2022
Hi all,
I have 2 Isa Browns (I think)... over the last few weeks, I've noticed that their feathers around their bums were stained with some chicken poo. I tried to wash it out - was only partially successful. It didn't seem to impact them too much.

Over the last few days, one of mine has started to be very quiet, not moving around as much,putting her head down to her chest, trying to sleep on the ground rather then perch (as I went to get photos she was happily pecking at grass though!). I looked at her today and beyond the normal feathers, there looks like some yellow crust... I initially thought Van Geet, but there doesn't appear to be a discharge... I've attached some photos. Also picked up my other one who seems to be acting normally and she had some poo on her feathers as well.

I did notice the other week that there was a smashed egg in the next a few days after the poo....but it didn't seem to change their behaviour.

I'm currently stuck at home with Covid so can't get to the vet.
Just wondering if it worth cutting the feathers that I can't clean and cleaning out the roost area would help before I can get to a vet or stock place...

Attachments

• Chicken 4.jpg
    Chicken 4.jpg
    591.8 KB · Views: 19
  • Chicken 3.jpg
    Chicken 3.jpg
    570 KB · Views: 2
  • Chicken 2.jpg
    Chicken 2.jpg
    584.5 KB · Views: 3
  • Chicken 1.jpg
    Chicken 1.jpg
    493.7 KB · Views: 3
I am so sorry you have Covid. :hugs
If you can clean their living quarters that would be great. You may have to soak their bottoms in warm water and Epsom salts to get them clean. Then check a couple of times a day to see if you have to clean them again. Once you get them clean to begin with, keeping them clean should be easier if you don't let it get bad again. Good luck, welcome and take care of you so you get better soon.

Back
Top Bottom