Chicken can’t walk

lwakes

In the Brooder
Sep 16, 2023
I have a hen, about 4 years old. Last weekend I noticed her sitting in the run not moving. She seems to be having issues with her legs. I moved her to a dog cage where she’s been resting. I have soaked her in epsom salt, added rooster booster to her water and kept her stress free. She seems good overall, eating drinking and wanting to walk around. However, every time she gets up to walk her legs just don’t work. She can stand for short periods of time but as soon as she tries to walk she has to use her wings to assist her and just sits down. I’m guessing somehow she got injured. She’s seems to not want me to touch her legs and seems to make noises I’d pain when I lift her with my hands on either side of her wings. But if I lift her from the front, she seems ok. I’m at a loss as to what to do to help her…pics are included below

Attachments

• IMG_4084.jpeg
    IMG_4084.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 11
  • IMG_4080.jpeg
    IMG_4080.jpeg
    623.6 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_4079.jpeg
    IMG_4079.jpeg
    722.6 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_4078.jpeg
    IMG_4078.jpeg
    727.2 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_4077.jpeg
    IMG_4077.jpeg
    655.6 KB · Views: 5
Does she walk with a wide stance when she does walk? Does she seem to favor one leg? Do you have a rooster who might have hurt her? Does she still legs eggs regularly? Can you try some human B complex 1/2 tablet orally crushed into her food or given orally every day for a few weeks? If you can get a video of her walking, and upload it to YouTube with a link posted here, that might help.

Does she walk with a wide stance when she does walk? Does she seem to favor one leg? Do you have a rooster who might have hurt her? Does she still legs eggs regularly? Can you try some human B complex 1/2 tablet orally crushed into her food or given orally every day for a few weeks? If you can get a video of her walking, and upload it to YouTube with a link posted here, that might help.
She can’t walk at all so not sure about the wide stance. Seems to favor her right one more. I do not have a rooster but she was being bullied by some other hens prior to this. I have been giving her b vitamins and haven’t noticed a difference.

What B vitamins have you given? Riboflavin (B2) is important in chicken leg health. I recommend using human B complex (or Super B Complex) vitamins which has all of the B vitamins including riboflavin. You might try making her a chicken sling chair for periods throughout the day, and then letting her sleep out of it. This thread has good examples:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/versions-of-chick-chairs-please.1166308/

Back
Top Bottom