Chicken constantly sounding in distress- is she sick??

NinaRuns

In the Brooder
Dec 30, 2023
Hello! We have a small backyard flock of 5 black maran chickens. We got them as chicks in the summer from TSC and have begun laying eggs as of 4 weeks ago.

One of the birds has begun to gently, but repeatedly cry out repeatedly in a way that seems she is in distress or discomfort.

These symptoms were noticed early this morning. Our other 4 girls are fine. We’ve picked her up and there is no sign of any bleeding, injury, broken bones, no beak bubbles or other sign of trauma.
We live in Canada (southern Ontario) and it is chilly but they live in a shed converted to a coop with a fenced door.

Today we have seen that she’s been eating and drinking normally and pooping.
We would prefer to treat ourselves if possible. We are a border town with the USA so I can easily pop to the states for supplies if needed.

I’ve attached a video my husband took at coop clean today. Their coop is a mix of sand and wood shavings

Last week their heat lamp broke and the new one didn’t arrive until today, But temps have been between 6 & 9 degrees Celsius this week.

is she in distress? And if so, how can we help? We’ve read good and bad things about VetRx and silver in the water but would love opinions. We really enjoy our girls and I’m quite worried this one is hurting.

Vimeo link

A close listen and it sounds like she's experiencing some Stridor, this is when a piece of food, mucous, etc. gets stuck in the airway.
Usually this will resolve on its own over the course of a day. If it doesn't clear up, let us know. Do monitor her for any signs of mucous in the nostrils, watery/bubbly eyes, etc.

I'd also check her crop to make sure it's emptying overnight.

Lovely girls! Welcome To BYC.

A close listen and it sounds like she's experiencing some Stridor, this is when a piece of food, mucous, etc. gets stuck in the airway.
Usually this will resolve on its own over the course of a day. If it doesn't clear up, let us know. Do monitor her for any signs of mucous in the nostrils, watery/bubbly eyes, etc.

I'd also check her crop to make sure it's emptying overnight.

Lovely girls! Welcome To BYC.
Thank you! She was back to herself the next day. :)

Back
Top Bottom