Chicken Coop build - Minnesota Spring

Hello fellow Minnesotan! I’m doing the same thing. Waiting for the rain to stop to start building. 😆
Following! Can’t wait to see your progress!
Hello there! I just gave you a follow, so I can watch your progress as well! We are in Mendota Heights, what part are you in? We can have 6 hens in our community, so we, really I (because I am the overthinker in the relationship) decided to get 2 Black Australorps, 2 Barred Rocks, and 2 Speckled Sussex. They come on the 24th, so we have a time cushion to get things all shaped up for them :)

Hello there! I just gave you a follow, so I can watch your progress as well! We are in Mendota Heights, what part are you in? We can have 6 hens in our community, so we, really I (because I am the overthinker in the relationship) decided to get 2 Black Australorps, 2 Barred Rocks, and 2 Speckled Sussex. They come on the 24th, so we have a time cushion to get things all shaped up for them :)
Thank you! We’re just south of the cities. We can only have four hens here. I was considering the same breeds as you! I went with the Australorps though. I hatched them 2 weeks ago, so I need to hurry it up with my coop!

I live straight east of fargo/moorhead. I have 4 black australorps, 4 buff orpingtons, and 4 light brahma's. Mine all survived and thrived this last winter. I hear the light sussex is a better layer than my light brahmas. Eventually i will get some and see for myself. I think my australorps and buff orpingtons are about equal in egg laying.
20230413_171144.jpg

I live straight east of fargo/moorhead. I have 4 black australorps, 4 buff orpingtons, and 4 light brahma's. Mine all survived and thrived this last winter. I hear the light sussex is a better layer than my light brahmas. Eventually i will get some and see for myself. I think my australorps and buff orpingtons are about equal in egg laying.View attachment 3475600
I thought about getting brahmas too. They are so pretty!

We are getting 2 Black Australorps, 2 Barred Rocks, and 2 Speckled Sussex. I changed my chick order 3 times, so that I would hopefully get bird that can get along, and get cold hardy bird that will do best in our climate. :)
I’m in Northwestern MN and had Australorps, Barred Rocks and Orpingtons. They do great up here!

Back
Top Bottom