Chicken Coop Considerations in Video Form

TheFatBlueCat

Crowing
Oct 16, 2021
New Zealand
My Coop
My Coop
Hi all,

I have been working on this video for a wee while, trying to consolidate all the important points to consider when it comes to buying or building a coop. It's designed to be an entry-level video for people starting out on their chicken keeping journey. I've tried to cover the questions and essential considerations that come up most often, here on the forum and also at my job at a farm store. Hope you enjoy and it's useful to you or someone in your life!

Just a few comments:

Chickens don't sleep all night, maybe not even most of the night. They rest and preen and wait for dawn.

They don't grab the roost bars. They sit on them. Height placement is relative to the amount of landing space they have to prevent injury. It isn't good for them to fly down from heights greater than 3 or 4 feet in a confined area. All the tree huggers that fly down from trees usually have wide open spaces to aim for and land on the ground. Not wood or concrete.

Chickens are not gross! If a human pooped all night long and was forced to sleep in the bathroom without flushing would they be called gross? It's the arrangements they are kept in that prevent them from being forced to live with waste accumulation.

Kudos on the HIGH ventilation! Very important point to drive home. Also on the sizing. Halving is still generous. I agree more with 1/3.

I would worry about the chickens picking at the plastic liner and ingesting the pieces. I know mine would! You might also talk about poop boards. They are a must have in my coop.

Overall, it's a great video for someone starting out with chickens and doesn't know about proper housing. Excellent job!!

Last edited:
Just a few comments:

Chickens don't sleep all night, maybe not even most of the night. They rest and preen and wait for dawn.

They don't grab the roost bars. They sit on them. Height placement is relative to the amount of landing space they have to prevent injury. It isn't good for them to fly down from heights greater than 3 or 4 feet in a confined area. All the tree huggers that fly down from trees usually have wide open spaces to aim for and land on the ground. Not wood or concrete.

Chickens are not gross! If a human pooped all night long and was forced to sleep in the bathroom without flushing would they be called gross? It's the arrangements they are kept in that prevent them from being forced to live with waste accumulation.

Kudos on the HIGH ventilation! Very important point to drive home. Also on the sizing. Halving is still generous. I agree more with 1/3.

I would worry about the chickens picking at the plastic liner and ingesting the pieces. I know mine would! You might also talk about poop boards. They are a must have in my coop.

Overall, it's a great video for someone starting out with chickens and doesn't know about proper housing. Excellent job!!
Thanks for watching it and for your feedback, I'm glad you mostly liked it lol.

Back
Top Bottom