Chicken coop flooring.

Mel35

Chirping
Sep 23, 2023
Morning chicken Fam.

We have recently moved into a new home which means the chickens are also moving into a new coop! The coop does need a bit of work so I am wondering if you guys have any tip, advice or recommendations. The coop is made up of two parts - the back part is a shed that is fully covered away from the elements and the front section is also like a shed but just covered in chicken wire so to allow the sun in. Eventually I would like to put some clear sheeting on the roof so to allow the sun to still get in but also to keep the rain out. Which bring me to my next conundrum. The floor of the coop is dirt and it's been wet in the past so it's just compacted mud at the moment, does anyone have any suggestions on what could be used as flooring that comfortable and healthy for the flock? Also bedding, they do have boxes in there just wondering what bedding would be best? We have also had a lot of rain here the last few weeks and I am concerned about the mosquito's around/in the coop, any advice on sprays or secret weapons people use to control them 😄

Sorry about the super long post and thanks in advance for your help/advice.

✌🏼

Hi! Well I am new to this but, I had an old shed and I bought the cheapest sheet laminate flooring from Home Depot spent $100 on a 12x15. Stapled it all over the floor with a lip of it covering a bit of the walls. Keep moisture off the floor and then covered with pine shavings. Cleaning is easy now and not wood damage.

Back
Top Bottom