Chicken Coop too hot?

M

member 671198

Our neighbor has a "diy" chicken coop. It seems to be the size of a smaller doll house that he's placed under a small greenhouse frame. He's placed a clear plastic tarp over the greenhouse frame to keep it dry and warm in the winter. It's only open on two sides. The problem is that he's left it on for the summer and we're in the mid Atlantic where it's very hot and humid, and it gets full sun in the afternoon. They said that they've lost a chicken to the heat, but have left it on despite this. I've asked if they'll put a shade cloth up, but they said "no." I'm concerned that this is trapping heat for the chickens, and it's neglecting their needs. Pleae see attached photo. Thoughts?

Attachments

• 20230704_054859.jpg
    20230704_054859.jpg
    808 KB · Views: 160
Last edited by a moderator:
I 10000% agree with you.

There is little to no airflow in that space.
Also, the fact that they already lost a chicken due to heat stroke speaks for itself.
Are there any reputable written resources that I can give to them to prove this is a risk?

Our neighbor has a "diy" chicken coop. It seems to be the size of a smaller doll house that he's placed under a small greenhouse frame. He's placed a clear plastic tarp over the greenhouse frame to keep it dry and warm in the winter. It's only open on two sides. The problem is that he's left it on for the summer and we're in the mid Atlantic where it's very hot and humid, and it gets full sun in the afternoon. They said that they've lost a chicken to the heat, but have left it on despite this. I've asked if they'll put a shade cloth up, but they said "no." I'm concerned that this is trapping heat for the chickens, and it's neglecting their needs. Pleae see attached photo. Thoughts?
Do you have animal control in your area? If so, I would report your concerns to them. The owner might be more receptive to “officials.”

Back
Top Bottom