Chicken deaths help!

Well, since not too many members are saying anything I thought is should spread the word to others so that this emergency thread gets help immediately. Thanks for your input.
If we see a thread with a high post count, we assume the problem is being well handled. Its good you're willing and trting to help but making a bunch of posts actually prevents people from looking at a thread. I'm not good with illness so I'm the wrong person to ask.

Well, since not too many members are saying anything I thought is should spread the word to others so that this emergency thread gets help immediately. Thanks for your input.
In general, the experts in certain areas will patrol those sections of the forums and answer as they are able. Members probably aren't saying anything because 8 of the 10 posts on the first page are you posting over and over. No one wants to read through all that. Before you respond to a post take your time to collect your thoughts and post one thing of value. Not repeatedly bumping it.

There is also a sticky at the top of this forum telling members how to post information in the best format to allow people to help. The OP did not do that.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/have-an-emergency-disease-please-read-first.3569/

Additionally, curiosity about why they are losing birds randomly over a month is not the same thing as "Dog Attack: How to Help Surviving Birds" so people will respond as they are able. The OP does not need "immediate" help.

I would advise reading and learning in areas that you cannot help until you are actually able to meaningfully contribute to topics that interest you. :)

To be fair - you don't always seem to tag the members who would actually be best based on the topic. Sure, I'm good in an identification thread, but I've got no qualifications to give out poultry medical advice. Same with many of the members you tag. The most experienced members I know in relation to medical issues are @Eggcessive, @azygous, and @Wyorp Rock.
Well, don't tag me for I.D.'s! 🤣
If it ain't obvious what it is, then it's uhh...well, it's a chicken🤣

I am glad that I read all this. I am on here trying to help people if I can, too, even though some of these folks have decades on me. I tagged the three folks mentioned for someone with a fox attack for the first time last week, and I felt weird, wondering if it is okay to do. Is there a page that has etiquette around asking specific people for help/ tagging others?

I think that what everyone said was extremely helpful, but I want to make sure that Isla June doesn't feel sad or embarrassed. I know that criticism can sound heavy even when it is said gently. I would have suggested messaging the person directly (the whole praise in public, criticize in private, thing), but I am really glad I got to read these suggestions, too. I am often wondering about it as well.

I am glad that I read all this. I am on here trying to help people if I can, too, even though some of these folks have decades on me. I tagged the three folks mentioned for someone with a fox attack for the first time last week, and I felt weird, wondering if it is okay to do. Is there a page that has etiquette around asking specific people for help/ tagging others?

I think that what everyone said was extremely helpful, but I want to make sure that Isla June doesn't feel sad or embarrassed. I know that criticism can sound heavy even when it is said gently. I would have suggested messaging the person directly (the whole praise in public, criticize in private, thing), but I am really glad I got to read these suggestions, too. I am often wondering about it as well.
You shouldn't feel bad tagging someone to see if they can offer suggestions.
There's really no specific way to tag others, but if you've been a member for a while, you will see who mainly posts in each forum. For example, I'm mainly in the ER section, but will venture out sometimes. Others may be good at nutrition (feed), building coops (housing), identification (genetics), etc.

The biggest thing I take issue with (and it's no secret) is when a thread is just replied to with a string of tags. Especially a new thread and the first reply is just a bunch of names. This leaves the OP wondering what it is and to me, it's just better not to have responded at all.

And honestly, if I'm tagged and the thread is pages long, I may not even respond. If I do, sorry...I'm not reading every reply from others, I only go for the info that OP has provided, because it's their thread after all. There's no way I have time to read every post made in a thread if it's long. If there's a bunch of chit chat, I may just skip it all together. Just the way it is.

I think that what everyone said was extremely helpful, but I want to make sure that Isla June doesn't feel sad or embarrassed. I know that criticism can sound heavy even when it is said gently. I would have suggested messaging the person directly (the whole praise in public, criticize in private, thing), but I am really glad I got to read these suggestions, too
If you're referring to me, tag me. but yes, I could have handled that better even though I wasn't remotely trying to be harsh or criticizing. I'm sorry, @-Isla June- isla wasn't trying to hurt you.

If you're referring to me, tag me. but yes, I could have handled that better even though I wasn't remotely trying to be harsh or criticizing. I'm sorry, @-Isla June- isla wasn't trying to hurt you.
No, I think you all did a great job being clear and neutral, I just know how the internet writing can sound a certain way that it isn't. I'm glad that you said that about multiple posts, too, because it is a really great point.

No, I think you all did a great job being clear and neutral, I just know how the internet writing can sound a certain way that it isn't. I'm glad that you said that about multiple posts, too, because it is a really great point.
Thanks, I know I'm often too blunt and I'm trying to soften things a bit I'm not good at always following through with that.

Back
Top Bottom