Chicken disappears

JetBlack

Songster
9 Years
Apr 19, 2010
Coeur d'Alene, ID
This hen goes missing repeatedly. I always think a neighbor cat got her, because she tends to go missing for days after being chased by a cat. This last time, she was gone for a week. When I put her in the back yard again, the bantams followed her around just like a woman who is worried about another one and is asking if she's okay. The RIRs chased and pecked at her. When I got home, from work, she was gone again. She actually lays eggs fairly regularly but I can't find them if she's not here.

She can fly pretty well and can get from the backyard to the top of the roof, so taller fencing is not going to work.

I can never see or hear her, in the neighbor's trees or on the roof.... any ideas where to look for her roost?

You're going to have to follow her I suppose. She probably has a nest somewhere or she stays up in trees at night. You need to find her nest (and eggs) and return her to her coop and put her in lockdown. I'd trim her wings as well. You might have to keep her seperated for awhile til the others get used to her, keep them in visual proximity and reintroduction will be easier.

I had a lady who was laying and then "stopped." I could not find her secret nest. I started watching and doing head count. It took me several days of hunting her during the MIA period before I found her hidie hole.

There were 6 eggs, that I promptly scrambled, cooked, and fed back to the flock.

So based on all of this I would say to you.....start stalking her, find her secret spot and close it off.

Well she's back to hiding. I haven't seen her in two days. I'm not sure how she gets out or where she goes. I don't hear her in the daytime, at all.

Back
Top Bottom